Featured Brooch Help Please

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by cxgirl, Jul 24, 2018.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hi All,
    I picked up this bag for $2 because of the earrings with the otter mark, for some reason the mark rings a bell. I'm wondering about this brooch - is it Chinese? I thought the red enamel was chipped on the one side but it isn't, just didn't fill in the space. Blue beads, they are tiny so I'm having a hard time figuring out if they are glass or maybe plastic. It is 2 1/2" x 2".
    Any information appreciated.
    thanks for looking
    DSCF3287.jpg DSCF3286.jpg DSCF3304.jpg DSCF3271.jpg DSCF3272.jpg DSCF3275.jpg

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's Asian theme rather than Asian. It's definitely vintage, but was probably made in New York. The earrings are a good question.

Bronwen, Any Jewelry, cxgirl and 2 others like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

yer otter looks like a dinosaur ..

Bronwen, pearlsnblume, cxgirl and 2 others like this.
  4. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Agree with Evelyb, Asian theme vintage. Asian symbols, etc were popular in 1960s/70s costume jewelry.

Can't help with the earrings. Have not seen that mark before but someone will love those.

Nice $2 bag!

5. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Thanks evelyb30 and Lucille:)
    lol at dinosaur:)

Bronwen, pearlsnblume and komokwa like this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Actually, I was thinking dinosaur too but not having the item in hand ....

Bronwen, pearlsnblume and komokwa like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Fossil otter.

8. Any Jewelry

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    i need help, judy, Figtree3 and 7 others like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

10. Lucille.b

Great ID, AJ. :)

2nd link is so interesting if you read the full text, and I think possibly applicable to Cx's piece. They post about the copy pieces of Max Neiger and the comma stone not quite fitting in the reproduction pieces. Something Cx noticed too. So interesting that the ones in the link still had the Czech tags (if original). The tags look later than 20s/30s so I guess reproductions were made. Good to know.

Interesting history and a cool pin!

i need help, judy, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Thanks Lucille. Yes, it is an interesting brooch, and I also think it is Neiger style, rather than actual Neiger. Neiger jewellery just has that extra attention to design and detail. But it is good enough to fetch a nice price.

i need help, judy, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  12. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Wow, thank-you AJ:)! I would never have figured this one out!
    Was reading the history on the company, a very sad end to the lives of the Neiger Brothers and their families.
    Thanks Lucille:) Yes, interesting about the comma stone not fitting exactly, but have a look at the one in the first link, the stones/enamel don't fit either. I believe it is enamel rather than a stone but maybe stone is a correct term to use? Pieces were not marked so I imagine you would need to be an expert to say if it is a true Neiger piece.
    So if I use Neiger Bros style I should be okay?
    Some information I found on-line
    Not only did they not stamp their jewelry, but
    with their success other local jewelry makers began to emulate their work -- the parts were available to all from the same local manufacturers from whom the Neigers bought. Though their competitors' jewelry does not equal theirs in workmanship or style, these practices are why today pieces are often described as being "attributed" to the Neigers instead of being given full recognition -- certainty is often difficult. (copied from this site

http://vintagevogueteam.blogspot.com/2014/10/the-neiger-brothers-jewelry.html

13. Any Jewelry

Pleasure cx. I don't know much about costume jewellery, but have a few Czech pieces that needed research, so I recognized the style.
    The Neiger family's fate is more than sad, those were terrible times.
    It is likely to be glass.

Gablonz, where the Neiger brothers worked, was in Czechoslovakia, not Poland, as the link says. It was part of 'Sudetenland', a region that had a large German population, which is why it was occupied before the rest of Czechoslovakia was. It is now called Jablonec nad Nisou, in the Czech Republic.

i need help, judy, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  14. Lucille.b

Probably incorrectly, some of us use "stone" to generically encompass all possibilities. Like in a rhinestone piece, "one stone missing", etc. Didn't mean to suggest it was a specific type of stone, but good question!

If a reproduction, could be plastic or glass or enamel. I could be wrong but I think if it was enamel, the little comma would not stand alone like that, it would more fill the space, so maybe glass or plastic.

Although pieces were not signed, I don't think you'd need an expert to determine whether this was an original Max Neiger. It will come down to the quality of construction, quality of the metal coating, weight in the hand, attention to detail, the way the pieces fit in the metal, etc.

Guessing as these were copied, that this is a copy based on photos. But FULLY correct to say "Neiger Bros style" and of course, add lots of photos. Probably the people buying these know only too well what is what.

Was interesting to learn about these.

judy, cxgirl, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  15. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

i need help, judy, Bakersgma and 2 others like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

The glass components of Neiger and other Czech pieces were all made by the same manufacturers, they bought them wholesale. So the Neiger 'copycats' used the same components as Neiger.

judy and cxgirl like this.
  17. Any Jewelry

Very nice, cx.
    I think I have a silver Harold Alfred bracelet. Signed, no otter (or dinosaur) mark. I'll have a look at the signature.

judy and cxgirl like this.
  18. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thanks AJ! Yes, I believe you are correct on them being glass:)

Thanks Lucille!

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  19. Lucille.b

Nice! Your $2 bag just got better!

judy, Any Jewelry and cxgirl like this.
  20. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

The marks have changed over the years which is why I wasn't sure. The business is about 30 minutes away from me and I come across pieces every now and then, but I've never had any with this style otter.

judy, Lucille.b and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted