Bronze Tripod Censer - Ming (?)

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by 15Stiftgasse, Jul 21, 2020.

1. 15Stiftgasse

15Stiftgasse Well-Known Member

Hello Everyone,

I've recently acquired this bronze incense burner (cheap!), which, according to my online research, could possibly be a Ming piece.
    It appears that the feet were individually cast and then soldered onto the body.
    The cover is made from wood and has a dragonfly (?) carved on the finial.

As there are many forgeries of such items, I am naturally a bit wary, although it appears to be to be genuinely very old.

I would very much appreciate the opinion of the more experienced/educated readers as to whether the censer is the real McCoy and as to it's possible age.

Many thanks to all readers and contributors.

Best Regards,
    Peter
    910_-52699450.jpg 910_482137222.jpg a67ba105-c909-11ea-a0bb-5dce8856e7b1.jpg a963cc86-c909-11ea-a9d4-bfbf5f9415cd.jpg 1bcc6f71-c90a-11ea-a9d4-bfbf5f9415cd.jpg

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Just an FYI ...Your pictures are underexposed, so the article appears very dark and silhouetted. Apart from the detail shots, the general photos are difficult to see anything like the surface properly. Your camera is exposing for the white background and light coloured wood thereby making the object too dark. Try spot metering if you have that capability or take the photos on a less bright background or preferably outside without flash.

3. 15Stiftgasse

Many thanks for the advice. The pics I posted were forwarded to me by the seller. I've only just purchased the censer, which should (all being well) arrive by post within the next few days, so am at this present moment censer-less, you could say. I will endeavour to take further (hopefully clearer) pics with my own camera when I have the opportunity. Thank you and best wishes.

blooey, kyratango and antidiem like this.
  4. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I lightened the first 2 photos, maybe this helps until you receive it and take new photos :)

Censer1.jpg Censer2.jpg

15Stiftgasse and kyratango like this.
  5. 15Stiftgasse

6. 15Stiftgasse

Many thanks for your help, Marie. Much appreciated !!

kyratango likes this.
  7. 15Stiftgasse

Censer has finally arrived. More pics - as promised. Regards, Peter. P1020855.JPG P1020842.JPG P1020838.JPG

kyratango likes this.
  8. 15Stiftgasse