Bronze? Lamp

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Kristy, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Kristy

Kristy Member

Trying to figure out if this lamp is bronze and any other info on it. I'm not finding much in my search. Thanks! IMG_20160926_193240614~01.jpg IMG_20160926_193427520~01.jpg IMG_20160926_193808987~01.jpg

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Nice lamp! Certainly looks like it could be bronze. A look at the bottom without any felt might tell whether or not it is solid or plated. A scratch test will tell for sure.

Kristy likes this.
  3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Is that round bowl-like thing at the bottom an ash tray? It could be used for lots of other things, of course.

Kristy and yourturntoloveit like this.
  4. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

I'm SO confused when it comes to bronze. For years I thought it was similar to brass in colour, maybe slightly warmer. I would've thought that lamp is copper based on the colour. Is non-completely-patinated bronze always this orange / copperesque?

Kristy and yourturntoloveit like this.
  5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

It is confusing and sometimes it is very hard to tell what you have. The issue really is how much copper is in a particular bronze formula. Bronze can take on different looks depending on the formula. Most larger items such as this are not made of solid copper due to its softness. Consequently, this would appear to be bronze to me. There is always the possibility that it is bronze or coper plate on a base metal.

Kristy and bluemoon like this.
  6. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Interesting lamp, the post is acid-etched. I think it is bronze, but as mentioned above check inside the bare base. It probably had a stained-glass shade.