Bronze Hindu Deity Help ID Please

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by cc89, May 19, 2021.

1. cc89

cc89 Active Member

Hi all, can anybody help me ID this figure? It looks Thai to me and my intuition tells me not that old or valuable but would like a second opinion before I put it in the charity bin! Thanks

rsz_pxl_20210519_182314021.jpg rsz_pxl_20210519_182327218.jpg

Attached Files:

johnnycb09 and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, she is from Thailand, but she is not a deity. She is a Kinnari. Kinnaras are celestial beings, usually musicians, half human, half bird.
    She is not very old, but she has some value.

Last edited: May 19, 2021
  3. cc89

cc89 Active Member

Thanks a lot Any Jewlery, that will be why I couldn't find her when I was searching through the deity's :)

It was what I thought was very poor gold painting that made me think it was poor quality but I think it is gilt rather than paint? Would this have been made with the "loss wax" technique then do you know?

Any Jewelry likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very likely. I don't know if she is gilt or if it is some other metal. When I was in Thailand, many moons ago, they only had the non-gilt ones. I guess gilding(?) was introduced in the 1980s.

cc89 likes this.
  5. cc89

cc89 Active Member

Thanks again AJ. I might keep her now I have learned about the Kinnari :)

Any Jewelry likes this.