Featured Bronze bust / mask - signature help

Discussion in 'Art' started by aaroncab, Oct 6, 2017.

1. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

From my recent thrift finds - I think I creeped a few people out in the finds thread :)

Stands about 13" high with the base - I think the signature says Nunnelly... but...I'm not positive. Ha a monogram - A inside a C orG? ...also marked ©97 and A/P (artist's proof) I haven't found anything on any sculptor/artist named Nunnelly - so I figured I might be misreading it. Any help is appreciated. Also just thought it was an interesting piece to share on here :)

~

37470379842_f019048816_k.jpg 37453647646_ef14f8e05d_k.jpg 37453670716_125150bb3b_k.jpg 23671127418_1d4a55b0b6_k.jpg 37453644046_877d84b328_kdev.jpg

Figtree3, cxgirl and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Nice still.....and the brownish pic makes it look nicer....!

aaroncab likes this.
  3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I see an "AP" ,maybe they didnt make any more? I think its fabulous,Id have bought it in a nano second.I couldnt find the artist using any variation of that name.

4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

5. aaroncab

6. aaroncab

I agree - my lightbox has pure white LED lights - so it makes it look more greyish. In natural light it's definitely brown/green.

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

funny eh...how even the best photo's can be misleading..

aaroncab likes this.
  8. aaroncab

Whatever do you mean?

misleading-photos-20.jpg

Lucille.b, cxgirl, Aquitaine and 4 others like this.
  9. aaroncab

Well - apart from the fact that the spelling is off - Nunnelly vs Nunneley - I don't see this being from David J Nunneley of Tulsa OK - at least not to my eye - doesn't seem to really be his style (I don't see any other busts he's done) - and especially the tone of the patina - who knows though - could be a mock-up/proof he did for a larger work.

judy likes this.
  10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

You CAN contact him and ASK him.........AND, BTW.....I DEFINITELY like the browner tones MUCH BETTER on that image!!!!!!!!! MUCH LESS............... STARK???? Yeah........

judy and aaroncab like this.
  11. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Nice item; if you find yourself tripping over it, I have some space left in the Hoarditorium and may be able to mitigate your issue.

Aquitaine, judy and aaroncab like this.
  12. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@aaroncab, in staring HARD at that siggy, are you absolutely positive there is a "y" after the double "ll".....I'm just not sure that's what I'm seeing.....since we haven't yet found an artist.....and truthfully, it DOES look like a significant piece!!!! Just my humble opinion.......:rolleyes::rolleyes:

judy and komokwa like this.
  13. aaroncab

I definitely agree - I'm not 100% sure there's a "y" either - I've tried searching Nunnell and Nannell - Nunnelly - Nannelly - could be the n's are r's ...Nurrell...etc. Haven't found a match yet though.

judy, komokwa and Aquitaine like this.
  14. aaroncab

My other thought is perhaps the mark above "Nunnelly" is the artist's monongram/signature - and maybe "Nunnelly" is the title/subject of the piece. Maybe?

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted