Bronze brooch and cameo earring

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Chinoiserie, Aug 11, 2024.

1. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

Picked these up yesterday for not a lot. A bronze brooch and half a pair of earrings. I asked the lady if she had the other half but she said that she only ever had the one. It says either BABOO or BA800 on the reverse.

The brooch looks quite modern in design to me but the pin says otherwise. Maybe it was retro fitted?

IMG20240811111440_copy_2874x3832.jpg IMG20240811111444_copy_3000x4000.jpg IMG20240811111453_copy_2361x3148.jpg IMG_20240811_112309_copy_3000x4000.jpg IMG_20240811_112324_copy_3000x4000.jpg IMG20240811112247_copy_3000x4000.jpg

Bronwen likes this.
  2. Brian Warshaw

Brian Warshaw Well-Known Member

Definitely BA800. Looked on goggle with "BA800 reference for silver" and there is a lot of chatter relating to earrings and pendants.

Bronwen and Chinoiserie like this.
  3. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

That doesn't look like an earring. It looks like a dress clip.

Chinoiserie likes this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Hard to tell from pics but... Wouldn't it be upside down when worn as an earring?

Debora

Brian Warshaw and Chinoiserie like this.
  5. Chinoiserie

No it would be the right way up. One of my images flipped 180'.

6. Chinoiserie

Okay thank you.

7. Chinoiserie

Okay. Maybe a reference to the surround then?

8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Love the brooch! It's so unusual.

9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Definitely an earring. .800 silver clip-on, probably 50s era. I've worn enough of them! A dress clip would be oriented the other way and have sharp prongs on the back. The single earring could be worn clipped through a buttonhole easily enough if it has a firm spring/clip.

The pin is a different kettle of fish; the back says 19th century, although it could be later if a crafter found a box of spare bits somewhere.

Dessert58 and Figtree3 like this.
  10. Chinoiserie

Nice info. Thank you. The brooch still remains a mystery. I was thinking that if it is bronze then it would be more tarnished if the was in keeping with the pin type.

11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

one of the more interesting pieces of metal I've seen in a long time !!:woot:

The more I look at the markings on it , the more questions I have.:wideyed::wideyed:

It's starting to look like a damaged piece of a larger machinery part.......:borg:

Figtree3 and Chinoiserie like this.
  12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

[​IMG].
    Lathe 3 Jaw Chuck
    [​IMG]

Figtree3 and Chinoiserie like this.
  13. Chinoiserie

It's definitely different. Can see where youre coming from with the machinery theme. I can see the lines of wear. It dies look like it is cast though so maybe it's a cast of an original worn piece of machinery.

Draft saved Draft deleted