Bronze / brass Phoenician (Greek) Cavalryman figure – construction and age questions

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Abegweit, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Abegweit

Abegweit Active Member

Hello

Was hoping there are forum people that could identify the age of the piece below based on construction.

I do not know if the piece is brass or bronze, its age or origin. There is no magnet draw what so ever. The piece was likely part of a clock, lamp or simply positioned on a marble base which is likely where it will be going when I find one that I like. It stands approximately 5 ¼” tall and is about 5” long. I’d love to know what it may have been part of previously.

From what I can tell, mostly based on the helmet, it is in the likeness of a Phoenician (Greek) Cavalryman.

The item is more crudely made than similar items I have and what I’d like to understand most about it for my own education is its construction, that is, that it is made in 2 parts and appears to have been tacked / soldered together. I’ve not encountered this previously. The 2 parts / seams are actually offset.

I apologize in advance for the picture quality.

Any casting feedback, especially approx. date would be greatly appreciated or if you know what it may have been attached to at one time that would be excellent.

I know the item is not terribly valuable, but I think it will make a neat display piece once attached to a nice piece of marble. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

IMG_1387.JPG
    IMG_1388.JPG
    IMG_1389.JPG IMG_1391.JPG
    IMG_1392.JPG IMG_1393.JPG

aaroncab likes this.
  2. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Item is probably spelter; see where grey
    Metal shows thru plating?

Fair condition, note repairs and damage.

Poor quality casting-note ugly seams and other bad-looking areas.