Featured British Mediterranean Fleet at St. George Bay- Syrian War 1841 Painting

Discussion in 'Art' started by techbiker, Mar 21, 2023.

1. techbiker

techbiker Well-Known Member

Most of the time I purchase 19th century "2nd line" paintings. A couple weeks ago though I was fortunate enough to win a wonderful oil painting by Lt. John Frederick Warre. Lt. Warre apparently witnessed events of the 1839-1841 Syrian War as a member of the British Mediterranean Fleet. Later in 1841 he painted a series of paintings to memorialize them. His works even inspired a series of lithographs.

My painting shows the British Mediterranean Fleet weathering a powerful gale at St. George Bay off the coast of Beirut in early December 1840. The center ship (HMS Princess Charlotte) was a first-rate ship of the line commanded by Admiral Sir Robert Stopford. The combined British, Austrian, and Ottoman fleet under Stopford had just defeated the Egyptians in Acre a month prior.

When I unboxed the painting, the canvas almost fell out of the frame. On further inspection, I discovered that old amateur framing work had damaged parts of painting near the edges of the canvas. I rebuilt the shims in the frame to stop further canvas damage. Then after thorough testing, I wiped some of the grime off the painting surface with Gainsborough Products' Neutralizer solution and reset the painting. To my surprise, I discovered the initials "JFW" in the bottom right corner of the canvas hidden under the deep frame rabbet.

A wonderful piece of marine history. Canvas size approximately 24" x 18".

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lt. Warre's Huangpu River (Part 1) - The Mariners' Museum and Park (marinersmuseum.org)

File:John Frederick Warre - Very heavy swells causing trouble for ships off a coast.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

Robert Stopford (Royal Navy officer) - Wikipedia

Egyptian–Ottoman War (1839–1841) - Wikipedia

HMS Princess Charlotte (1825) - Wikipedia

2. NewEngland

NewEngland Well-Known Member

I love your painting. It looks like a museum masterpiece! Thanks for the information on Lt Warre. He died at only 32 years old. Probably some malady that would today be treated with antibiotics.

wlwhittier and techbiker like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

So interesting. Thank you for sharing.

Debora

wlwhittier, techbiker and NewEngland like this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

What is the connection between your painting and the Wikimedia entry? Are they the same?

techbiker likes this.
  5. techbiker

techbiker Well-Known Member

Yes. Sadly I've been outclassed by a painting! The link also contains images of the related lithographs.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2023
    moreotherstuff likes this.
  6. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Nice aquisition-sounds like a reputable auction site and a seller with some knowledge.

techbiker likes this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

man o war in a storm...........it has gravitas..!! :happy:

techbiker likes this.
  8. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Gravitas,as 200 yr old Private Club Brit gravitas !
    -muy classy.

techbiker likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted