Bren5555

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Bren5555, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Bren5555

Bren5555 New Member

I have a interesting mystery I would love some help solving...My first question is how would one verify age of a soapstone carving....My story starts 30 years ago in Massachucettes My brother in and father in law were in the business of reclaiming antique wood they had purchased a barn that was 300 years old as they were dissembling this barn they found built into the walls of the barn... this a statue which I came to learn was a libation vase or a "Libation cup of Gudea" when they found it their thought was that it must have been there the whole time and that it wasn't a secret compartment but more or less part of the structure itself.... Since the early 80's i have had this vase my brother in law sold it to me because his mother did not want it in their house...I have contacted many replica manufactures and i have a hand written letter from the 80's of a expert on this item as far as replicas go and him along with 4 other replicators all say that I have a nice little mystery on my hands...other research i have done was that this libation cup was a must have in ancient times in Sumeria.... priest used it for healing with oils and it was also used for sacrificial reasons to the Pagan nimrod...I would love any info on how i can have this item tested for age...i will post a few photos shortly

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

3. Bren5555

Bren5555 New Member

4. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

From the discussion thread linked below- which it appears you may have already visited - there are multiple copies of this item in existence.
    To me, that argues against it being old or valuable; while one may guess as to how it came to be inside a barn wall, it is more likely that a relatively modern item came to seem like it was built-in, than to imagine a chain of events that would lead to an artifact thousands of years old being in that location.
    In other words, the mystery is how a replica came to be where it was found..... but that is just my opinion.
    http://www.instappraisal.com/appraisal/gudea-libation-cup-caduceus

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  5. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
Draft saved Draft deleted