Brass with glass chimney -- match compartment? What to call this.

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Lucille.b, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

This has been at my thrift for a couple of days. Measures maybe 16" tall or so. Inside there is a place for a candle.

What do you call this style? It had kind of a neat look, but wasn't sure if it was vintage or antique, whether the glass part was original and finally whether worth messing with due to style and size. Oak (?) base made me think it might be vintage rather than antique, but this type of thing is completely out of my area. Price is $14.

Thinking not worth getting for resale but thought I'd run it by the group in case I was missing something. Thanks!

aaa3.jpg

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Thats awesome! Im wondering if its some sort of smoking apparatus,maybe keep cigars in the bin . id buy it. :)

judy and Huntingtreasure like this.
  3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    For 14 bucks I would buy it. The bottom looks like a candle box with the lock. The top looks like it was added but it is interesting. The glass globe is wonderful. I do not know for sure but I would buy it. i have spent 14 dolars on worse thing than that.
    greg

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

neat !!!

Lucille.b likes this.
  5. Lucille.b

Many thanks. Keep the thoughts coming... Going to be away from the computer for a bit, I won't get over to the thrift for at least 3 hours, but it has been sitting there for a couple of days. (And even went through the half price sale.) Of course, now having typed that it probably sold just now!

Mostly would be looking at this as a resale item. Although kind of cool, I have zero place to display something like this so would only be buying to resell -- online at that, so have to include the difficulty in shipping a large glass piece, etc.

Keywords to look up comparables? Thank you, all!

6. Huntingtreasure

Huntingtreasure Well-Known Member

It’s very pretty and very interesting. I wonder if the base was some sort of box at one time.

judy likes this.
  7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I like it too, even though I DO think the shiny brass (?) section and wood base are additions!! Kind of interestingly and well put together!! My eyes think part of it was obviously kerosene at one point in it's life long ago.....:smuggrin::smuggrin: definitely worth the investment!!!

Lucille.b likes this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

As it sits, that engraved globe may be the best part. The wood looks brand harry spankers, and that shiny brass part probably isn't much older; they didn't even try to make it look old. The compartment may have been put there to hold a trimmer and spare wicks, at least officially.

Lucille.b likes this.
  9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Odd thing. Think it rather new but don't see how you could go wrong for the price. Would think you could at least double your money in most markets.

Lucille.b likes this.
  10. Lucille.b

Thanks to everyone for taking a look.

If I had a B/M store or if I wanted it for my own use, I'd grab it, but as I'd need to Ebay this for resale, I've decided that I'm going to pass. It was still at the thrift today, day 4. (A fairly busy store, meaning that other dealers have passed on it at this point.) Does feel newer to me in person (could the base be 1970's?) I do think that the price is more than fair, but just not sure it is a great resale item since there is some lack of agreement as to what this is. If there were 10 similar selling on Ebay for good money, it would be a no-brainer, but can't find the exact thing to compare. I would not be shocked that this was some kind of re-make or marriage which also might make it difficult to sell.

Trying to be super discriminating with larger, time consuming to ship, fragile items. Pretty much need to have to have a guaranteed sale at a certain price to justify the work and packing materials involved, esp w/Ebay taking final value fees out of the shipping cost.

It will be a nice find for someone though! We'll see how many days it stays on the shelf!

Thanks! :):):)

11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

If I were a wedding florist or venue, I'd pounce on it. That would make one heckuva decorator piece; I can see it with a floral arrangement.

Lucille.b likes this.
  12. Catlovr

Catlovr Active Member

Thats really neat!!!! Old type of hurricane lamp possibly?

Lucille.b likes this.