Brass Plated Electrical Lamp Aluminum Overlays

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by kardinalisimo, Apr 19, 2016.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Not sure of the overlays, aluminum? Were they original or later addition? The electrical parts are removed and seems like it was used as candle holder.
    Any idea of age, origin, maker? Any missing parts?
    Thanks
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

lauragarnet and yourturntoloveit like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

The crane & flowers as well as mixed metal speak to me of Japan.

Figtree3 and yourturntoloveit like this.
  3. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Pictures look like pewter. Pewter is mostly tin which is easily melted (440F compared to 1200F for aluminum) and also easy to apply to brass pieces as it can be attached with some silver solder.

4. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Was wondering if the 2 outside "lamp holders" could have been originally oil at one time hence the decorative air holes in them, then a burner (with a glass chimney) would have fit into them as the pictures show like "clamps" that would hold the burners. Obviously now missing the burners. Those levers could very well have been burner lock downs.

5. kardinalisimo

My first thought was a Japanese motif because of the cranes and the blossoms. But nothing else in the design of the piece looks Asian. It's true that Japanese worked mixed metal but mostly bronze and silver. Not sure if brass and pewter could be typical Japanese.

I also thought this could have been an oil lamp or oil lamps parts, modified into an electrical lamp and then re-modified into candelabrum.

PS Forgot to tell why it was electrical lamp at one time - there are still pieces of cord in some of the tubes.

6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Always electric and probably no earlier than the 60s. Possibly much later. Has it been polished or is it lacquered? If old, I would expect to see some darkening to the metals somewhere.

7. kardinalisimo

I don't think it was polished and don't know if lacquered.
    There is wear on the metal on some areas.
    Do you think the decoration is original as well?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

lauragarnet likes this.
  8. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Looks like a maker's name and numbers around the hole collar pictured in the 3rd from the last pic of your ladt posting. May be "Clark 1355"??

--- Susan

lauragarnet likes this.
  9. kardinalisimo

Correct, it reads Clark 1355.

10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Looks lacquered based on these close-up photos. Might be a little earlier than I originally thought. That electrical grommet looks like it could be 40s-50s. Clark would be the maker of just that component. Based on the styling and all, I would say post-war. I think the decoration has to be original

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted