Brass pestle and mortar

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Ratsy Brown, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Ratsy Brown

Ratsy Brown Well-Known Member

hello all

Here i have a brass pestle and mortar. I have not weighed it yet but probably over 1.5kg.
    The peatle is 20.5cm in length. The mortar 12cm high and 10cm rim diameter.
    What struck me was the top of the handle of the pestle is quite worn...surely this is a sign of great age and use?
    Im looking for help on age and origin, also how should i go about cleaning? I dont want to ruin the patina.
    Many thanks
    BAEE732A-E798-4F96-9EC9-892AB0184FD6.jpeg 25B9935B-EF99-4E6F-9A07-40F7EAF1CB9F.jpeg 66973AD5-CFC9-4EE1-BBB0-B36BE4678E63.jpeg

2. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

It's a footed mortar and pestle, of a kind typically associated with the Mediterranean. I'm thinking countries like Greece, Turkey, Egypt, etc. Around there. Sorta near/middle-eastern style.

It's lathe-spun solid brass.

Exactly HOW old it is, I couldn't tell you, but I can tell you that it takes quite a bit of force to dent solid brass. I had to beat the dent out of the corner of a brass mortar once, and it took quite a few hammer-blows to even it out.

Ratsy Brown and judy like this.
  3. Ratsy Brown

Ratsy Brown Well-Known Member

Thanks Shangas, thats a good deal more for me to go on