Brass Indian Ox Cart

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Miscstuff, May 10, 2017.

1. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Found this in a decor lot recently. The closest ones I can identify on eBay seem to think they are from the thirties or early last century. Does that sound right to you? Think I'm missing a yoke of some kind as well. And of course there is the collectors favorite "brasso residue". Thinking of trying lemon juice and a tooth brush on it after soaking it overnight. Anyone got any experience with lemon juice and brasso??
    Cheers
    Stephen

PICT0043small.jpg PICT0045small.jpg PICT0047small.jpg PICT0048small.jpg

Joshua Brown likes this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It's decently done, so early 20th is feasible. Your reins and yoke may have been wood. Lemon juice may muck up any patina. I'd use a toothpick and patience.

Joshua Brown and judy like this.
  3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Soak in warm water for an hour, then with a soft toothbrush brush lightly. You do not need lemon juice, just warm water and time. Do not use HOT water.
    greg

Joshua Brown and judy like this.
  4. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

I used vinegar & a little salt with a soft cloth to get into crevices like this and it came out great. Just don't leave it on long and rinse it off several times to remove the vinegar. Ketchup also works because it stays in place and has vinegar in it. Same rules apply & rinse well.

judy likes this.
  5. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Vinegar is my new favorite substance. Got most of it off with a single scrub. The "patina" turned out to be more grime and muck than patina although some would argue otherwise. Might do one more scrub to get the rest.
    Cheers
    Stephen
    before after.jpg

judy, komokwa and Mill Cove Treasures like this.