Brass filigree - is it normal?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by IvaPan, Aug 14, 2023.

1. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Hi folks,

I was thinking about hand making of jewellery pieces and its relation to the material, and would like your opinion on this - is it normal to have real filigree made of non precious metal? Thanks to the discussion here and Any's guidance now I know that most of the brass pieces listed online as "filigree" are actually not filigree but are cast metal - open work or ajour. But I recently came across a brass filigree bow brooch and IMO, it is a real filigree. If so, it seems strange to me that someone was putting that much labour into a non precious metal piece.

It must be after 1950s as the stones are AB, and most probably Czech. One of the AB stones is a replacement as it is smaller than the prong bed. Any thoughts on it are mostly welcome! Thank you!
    brass bow 1.jpg brass bow 2.jpg brass bow 5.jpg brass bow 5.jpg brass bow 4.jpg

judy, kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, filigree can be made of any metal.:)
    It is charming, and the combination of AB and brass works very well.:happy:

IvaPan, judy and kyratango like this.
  3. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Thanks, Any! :kiss:
    I mean that filigree is too much hand work which implies better quality jewellery, therefore, such efforts are worth to be put in a piece made of at least silver. That's why it looked unusual to me, and caught my eye, apart from the nice color combination, as you mention.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted