Brass dog?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Rayo56, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

I hope this is in the right category as in the "etc" deal?
    But anyhow I got this from my Grandfather probably 40 years ago as he had a Dachshund who he named "Heidi" - and I do remember her as a little kid - wonderful dog and her hair was just smooth as ice!
    When he died I knew I had to get his little cast (statue?) of the dog and have had it ever since - I think it's bronze and has a stress crack from head to neck.
    Only markings are JAPAN on bottom and obvious sanding marks on the feet so it will stand level - Enjoy
    000_2452.jpg 000_2454.jpg 000_2456.jpg

Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  2. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Looks like it has a finish applied to it from the looks of the bottom but may just be the pic. Possibly pot metal/spelter.

What are the dimensions? Could be a paperweight.

It's a cute little guy.

Bronwen likes this.
  3. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Took a few knocks to the coconut, too.

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Growing up, we ALWAYS had a Dachshund in the house.....my Mom liked the standards tho, and we liked the "tweenies" .....well we always thought we were buying 'minis' but they always grew to 'tweenies'!!!!!Yours looks cute as a button!!!

5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Japan plated a lot of pot metal, which would account for the crack.

I suspect you have a bronzed pot metal Dachshund, that carries a lot of good memories with it.

Any Jewelry and yourturntoloveit like this.
  6. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

It's small - 2" long and same high from bottom to top of head

Draft saved Draft deleted