Brass/Bronze Vase brought home from Boer War.

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Samantha.M, Jan 10, 2021.

1. Samantha.M

Samantha.M New Member

Newvasepic2.jpg Newvasepic.jpg Newvasepic3.jpg Newvasepic4.jpg Hi everyone, this is a vase about 25cm high and weighing about 2kg. My great-grandfather was in the Boer War and he was stationed in South Africa and he brought back the vase from his time there. Unfortunately, I have no further information on its providence. There appears to be no markings on it anywhere that I can see that would give a makers mark or something similar. The engravings on it are on all four sides and are a repeat of each other. It has some green patina on it so I assume it is brass/bronze type material. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated, as I am very curious as to any info on this piece.

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Samantha.M and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Samantha.
    As inh indicated, it is a Chinese cast brass vase. This type of brass is often called bronze, but that is a misnomer.
    It is inspired by Chinese Archaic styles, but was probably new when your great-grandfather got it. It is not super quality, but that doesn't matter, it is important as a family heirloom.

Samantha.M, i need help and Debora like this.
  4. Samantha.M

Samantha.M New Member

Great, thank you for the information. The monetary value doesn't matter, like you said, it is more important for its sentimentality. Thanks again, you have sated my curiosity! :)

Any Jewelry likes this.