Brass (bottomless) vases.

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by C4RL, Apr 13, 2024.

1. C4RL

C4RL New Member

Hello everyone.

A first time post from me hoping to find information on a couple of brass vases(?) I own. I acquired them many years ago without knowing what they were, I've just got them out of storage after a property move & decided to try & find out for definite what they are....

As can be seen in the images (before & after a clean) they don't have bases, they are both like tubes with three pieces of lead melted around the lower sides of each one to add weight & stability. I always imagined they were dried flower holders, maybe Indian but that's just guesswork, despite trying I haven't seen anything similar online but I'm probably missing the correct search terms.

13" 34cm tall.
    9 1/2" 24cm wide.

Any ideas appreciated. Thanks.

675B3177-2FAF-43B7-A0A1-0A00F7FA35E1.jpeg 4E126E4C-05F6-4F2B-A9A1-84617E733291.jpg E2B08175-8780-4ECF-9534-6C8353305359.jpg

2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Lamp bases? Drums?

C4RL and 2manybooks like this.
  3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

C4RL likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

They look like hookah bases to me, bases for a waterpipe.
    The wide top is typical for hookah bases because the glass would sit on top of the base. And many of them have an open base because they only serve as a stable support for the hookah contraption.
    People collect nice hookah bases.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2024
    Marote, C4RL, aaroncab and 1 other person like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

This is a modern hookah, but to give you an idea how the base is part of the hookah and how the wide top is important, I circled the base:

Ahoo.jpg

C4RL, Bakersgma and 2manybooks like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

7. C4RL

C4RL New Member

Thank you for your replies everyone.

The Hookah base looks promising, I'll see if I can find something similar in a search.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Now I see what you’re saying, glass vessel with solid bottom so no solid bottom needed on base. But it does look to me like OP “blobs of lead for weight” are actually where a separate bottom was attached, but either fell off or deliberately removed for some other use. Etsy link shows a similar soldered on bottom, though as you point out, not necessary with glass bowl. (The only hookahs I’ve seen were all brass, so needed a bottom to hold liquid).

Last edited: Apr 13, 2024
    C4RL and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the water is held in the glass on AJ's example............ what am I missing?

C4RL and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Good point, if glass has solid bottom then it wouldn’t need it on base. I’ll correct.

C4RL, Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  11. komokwa

huummmm, I guess it is possible though, that the above pair...were not yet finished or a base is indeed not present,,
    [​IMG]

C4RL likes this.
  12. komokwa

not so fast......blobs of lead...do indeed need to be considered......cuz....what r they doing there ????

C4RL likes this.
  13. komokwa

at 13 inces tall....I'm starting to wonder if a hooka base is even correct....
    the ones I've been looking at are much smaller in size ......

C4RL likes this.
  14. C4RL

C4RL New Member

In my searching so far the Hookah bases I've seen tend to look like fairly solid heavy brass.
    My two examples (which are dimensionally the same but different patterns) are thin brass that has the patterns stamped (repousse?) or hammered into the spun brass. They both have three lumps of lead melted in the bulge near the bases that are absolutely for weight & not the remnants of a previous fixing.
    And they are made in three pieces roughly divided into thirds soldered together at the joints.

So I'm unsure about a Hookah base but not ruling it out.

Thanks everyone.

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.