Bracelet in Silver, possibly Jade?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Chevellet, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Chevellet

Chevellet Member

I am cataloging a piece for a museum and would love to know more about this bracelet. It measures 7" circum. and has a stamp on the inside that reads "STERLING 900 (unreadable) MEX". The stones are cold and feel like stone on the tooth test. They are also somewhat translucent. I am hesitant to call it jade because I am no expert. I am most interested in an approximate date. The residents of the historic house that we operate lived here from 1914 to 2004, but we prefer to display items from 1924 to 1945.

Any help you can offer is appreciated.

2008.001c.JPG 2008.001e.JPG 2008.001g.JPG 1-2008.001h.JPG

2. Chevellet

Chevellet Member

Figtree3 likes this.
  3. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

"Mexican jade" is a term for a number of stones used in Mexico.The stones on the bracelet appear to be Mexican onyx/travertine.

4. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

The only way to be sure is to have it tested. I know it is marked 900 silver (which is not sterling, sterling is 925), but I have had Mexican jewelry marked silver that turned out to have no silver in it at all.

I'm pretty sure the unreadable part of the mark is "Hecho en Mexico" which means made in Mexico.

Also, I would not use items for sale as reference, especially listings on eBay. No one polices them and there are lots and lots of listings that are, at best, inaccurate.

If you need to make sure for your catalog I would take it to someone who can confirm the metal and test the stones.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  5. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

There is an "E" before sterling right? Esterling or Esterline? Because like Marie said sterling is 925 not 900. I've seen a few listed under both names but no concrete info (yet) about the maker/date. Maybe someone will have more information.

6. Chevellet

Chevellet Member

Thank you for your information. After seeing the above website reference I can tell now that the stamp reads ESTERLIN, not STERLING. That could be a big difference! And thanks for definition of Mexican Jade. Again, big difference from actual Jade. I was very happy to see a piece that is styled similar to the piece that we have and seeing the sly terminology always sends a red flag that things may not be what they seem. Will note in the record accordingly and not make any assumptions that I do not know as a fact. Thanks.

7. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

A bit off topic (so what ELSE is new?), but what is it with the 1945 date? We donated a family home that was built (or at least started) about 1700 - and the date the Society choose to "display" it was 1945! Of course they accepted some of the older furnishings, but only if they were in use with the 1940's items.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

If it's any help, that'a s pre-1948 silver mark on the bracelet. I'm guessing the Esterlin mark means coin silver; it's an old French term for British money among other things. I'd call travertine on the stones too. My guess would be that it's a high grade 1930s tourist piece.

yourturntoloveit and tyeldom3 like this.
  9. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

I also thought "pre-1948" because no Mexico Eagle mark before 1948, but according to the following page on Mexico silver marks on the 925-1000 silver website; ... "The intaglio "900" mark is found on work dating from the turn of the century until the 1920's. The intaglio marks "980, 960, 940 & 925" are usually from the mid 1930's to the mid 1940's. ..." Soooo whether this dates as early as 1900-1920 or just pre 1948, I'm not sure because the 900 stamp isn't the same as pictured on this particular page.
    http://www.925-1000.com/mexican_marks.html

--- Susan

tyeldom3 and Chevellet like this.
  10. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

The word sterling comes from a combination a esterlin an old Norman
    French word meaning little star and steire an old English word meaning strong.

wenna, tyeldom3, Chevellet and 5 others like this.
  11. evelyb30

This doesn't read pre-WWI to me, design-wise, but you never know.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  12. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

I agree, but that wide slide pin clasp were used in the early 1900s to back whenever I think???

--- Susan

tyeldom3 likes this.
  13. evelyb30

They're still being made, so it's no help.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  14. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Quite often, Mexican silver jewelry uses green chrysoprase (a type of chalcedony) for stones. I am not quite sure that is what you have since your stones seem more mottled in color but worth taking a closer look. I usually associate chrysoprase as being more uniform in color such as this.......

upload_2016-10-2_9-51-37.png

However, I am finding some jewelry that is being shown as chrysoprase that is more similar to what you have. Such as this piece......

[​IMG]

Here is a general search for green chrysoprase ........

https://www.google.com/search?q=mex...AUIBygC#safe=off&tbm=isch&q=green+chrysoprase

And a chrysoprase Wikipedia page .....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysoprase

Draft saved Draft deleted