Featured Box of odds and a Grasshopper...

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Niko, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Niko

Niko Member

Yesterday I went to an auction for a "box of odds".
    I liked the box because it contained a Caithness Glass ball and I'd like to make a bid for it.
    I managed to buy the box with £29.5 (including the commission and VAT) and happy with my (first ever bid in an auction) I went home and unpacked the box.
    It contained the things you'll see in the photograph plus some more (commemorative plates (Prince Charles and Dianna marriage, Queen Elisabeth's Coronation and a bronze plate about the Church of Scotland with writings in English, Hebrew and Arabic).
    It also contained a few board games and other bot and pieces partially broken and other things.
    My real surprise was when looking at things I found a Grasshopper and googling the name/seal I could see on the bottom of it I found that it had some value.
    Now I know a bit more about pottery and about "Herend Hungary" :)
    The other thing I really like was the wooden carve of a Granny knitting and a small duck.
    The duck I'm not sure if it is wooden or a kind of stone.
    Would any one know anything to tell me about Granny and if it possible to figure out if the duck is made out of stone or wood?
    Thank you :)

Lot.jpg Grasshoper.jpg GrasshopSeal.jpg GrannySide.jpg GrannyFront.jpg GrannyBack.jpg DuckA.jpg DuckBottom.jpg CaithnessGlass.jpg

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The grasshopper is adorable! Looks like you did well on that lot of odds and sods!

I do have to say - as I started to read your post and your focus on the Caithness ball, I was very worried that you were going to say - "got all this cool stuff, but the ball wasn't there!" I'm really glad it all worked out!

Niko, judy and yourturntoloveit like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

What's the tall cylinder vase?

4. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Niko, what a lovely box of "stuff"! There are several things among the trove that I'd give space somewhere! My favorites are the paperweight "ball" and the grasshopper! (I'm a Herend fan, going way back!)

5. toomanytocount

toomanytocount Boredom is a sin.

Like the tall 'blanc de chine' ceramic flamingo figurine, is it marked, could be good if not damaged. The green frog is cute too. You can tell the difference between stone and wood by it's temperature. Stone is cool to the touch, wood is not.
    Love this sort of auction box, I used to bid on them and have fun too, figuring out what I got. Not always about the money. :joyful:

Niko, judy and yourturntoloveit like this.
  6. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

One look at my screen name and you'll know which of your finds is my favorite....:)

Except, now that I look at it, it looks more like a katydid (close relation). Do you have those over there?

Niko and yourturntoloveit like this.
  7. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

I vote for the duck!! Go figure! ;)

Our Katydids have pointed wing tips not rounded.
    [​IMG]

kyratango, Niko and yourturntoloveit like this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

WooHoo! For thirty quid, you scored! Herend pieces go for major money, at least when buying new. Second hand, at least here, they still do well. The green vase in the back looks like Wedgwood, not a good seller here but nice, and I want to know about that cylinder vase too. The one with the irises looks Japanese; there was a company named Otagiri who made all sorts of pretty ceramics in the 70s and 80s. Is it theirs? The brass looks Indian and I'm seeing other bits of British pottery too.

Niko likes this.
  9. architrave

architrave Well-Known Member

The "Granny" is in the style of a sculptor called Katherina Kaslatter - can't find much about her online, though there are plenty of examples of her work. I think she must have been Italian (Tyrolean, maybe).
    https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/...0005/lot-29a91465-04be-4e15-975c-a46e009d99bb
    https://www.dorotheum.com/en/dailya...a-kaslatter-1889-1979-bauerin.html?no_cache=1

There's a bit about her here (in Italian) with a self-portrait.
    http://www.provincia.bz.it/catalogo-beniculturali/it/ricerca.asp?kks_priref=320000728

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    kyratango, Niko and toomanytocount like this.
  10. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

A katydid got in my house a couple of days ago. I couldn't catch up with it. . .the next morning, when I was still half asleep, he was sitting at the top of my high arch kitchen faucet - he looked down right evil - I fled the room. Still haven't found him - LOL

11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I used to have a cat who loved praying mantises - as prey. They made great cat toys.

12. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I'm partial to the frog

Rayo56 and Niko like this.
  13. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

What a lovely assortment of goodies.

kyratango and Niko like this.
  14. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Granny might be a bookend. I like her.
    I'm with toomany, what does the flamingo bottom look like?

Also what is this little vase hiding behind the blue bowl?
    upload_2017-7-24_18-8-0.png

Niko likes this.
  15. toomanytocount

Beside the point but I love that red dog in your atavar image, really sweet, looks like my female golden retriever.

16. toomanytocount

That bird looks like it has some iridescence, don't know.

The small vase might be a Japanese Satsuma vase, with a scenic view motif and the upper rim gilded and in the form of flower petals.

OK, i have a good imagination too. LOL

Niko likes this.
  17. toomanytocount

Isn't that interesting, a whole series of them and you can see in your image that this granny here is knitting something, which makes sense. Thanks for the great info you found, love it.

18. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

19. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

My very first golden, Spice, born in March 1960.

Rayo56 likes this.
  20. toomanytocount

Meaning you still have them? I discovered Goldens after we retired, lovely pets to have when you have the time to enjoy them and them you. (except for all that hair)

Draft saved Draft deleted