Bourjois bottle metal wrapped - with long shaker top

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by aaroncab, Jul 19, 2017.

1. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Anyone know where and when this is from? I know Bourjois is/was a French cosmetics company - I assume perhaps this was a perfume bottle with the shaker top. Thanks again!

~

35204647613_730ff0e7a1_k.jpg 36015405315_4757988379_k.jpg 35625874510_5253805cf2_k.jpg 35204651433_864ca3a357_k.jpg 35204646433_c3d3277a77_k.jpg

2. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Not saying it isn't a perfume bottle but . . . could it be a talcum bottle or a man's aftershave bottle?

"Good" perfumes usually don't come in a bottle (decorative though it may be) which "looks like" it would hold a "fifth" of perfume.

Is there a closure of some type on the top of the "shake it out/pour it out" opening/spout?

But then again perhaps your bottle is smaller than what it appears to be in the photos.

I'll cut to the chase -- how big is it (height and/or the liquid quantity it holds would be welcome). ;)

Is there a cap/stopper to the long spout?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    Christmasjoy and aaroncab like this.
  3. aaroncab

I keep forgetting to post sizes! The bottle itself is about 4" to the shoulder - I suspect it would hold about 3 ounces ...I'll check and report back. The overall height with the shaker is about 9"

4. aaroncab

Bottle is 4" to the shoulder - 5" with the neck/lip. The top that screws in is just over 4" long itself - it does not have a stopper. I just measured - and it holds exactly 2 ounces of water.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

This may not be right, but I've always heard these bottles with tall, skinny extensions called "rose water shakers."

6. aaroncab

Here's with the top unscrewed and closeup of the top/nozzle:

~

35860941892_bfee274168_k.jpg 35860942812_be4db6e18e_k.jpg

7. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Thank goodness, Bakersgma to the rescue. ;) :happy:

8. aaroncab

Thank you Gma :) Googling that does bring up some similar looking shaker tops.

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

10. aaroncab

I JUST stumbled across that too :) Although the metal work is a bit different - the bottle does appear to be the same patter (but diff color) and the shaker/top looks the same. Shame the ebay listing is gone - as the pic on pinterest is tiny.

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

You're right, except they are rose water sprinklers (not shaken, not stirred;)).
    In the Middle East and other parts of Asia and North Africa guests are traditionally welcomed by sprinkling rosewater, as a sign of hospitality. In some regions incense is used.
    Bourjois is French, and because of France's colonial history they also made products for the Middle Eastern market.
    Bourjois is still an important cosmetics and perfume name in the Middle East, the main reason why Coty bought Bourjois a few years ago.

Christmasjoy, Bakersgma and aaroncab like this.
  12. aaroncab

Thank you AJ... make sense and the metal work on there definitely looks Middle Eastern. You provide a wealth of information to this community just wanted to say thank you again.

13. Any Jewelry

Pleasure, anytime.

There could have been a disperser on the top with tiny holes in it, a bit like a mini showerhead. They don't all have that, I don't know if this one would have.

14. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

I second aaroncab's post, Thank You any Jewelry, .. Joy.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Thank you Joy, you always have a positive contribution to the forum. Don't ever think I don't notice and appreciate that, it is one of the reasons this is a wonderful forum.:)

Christmasjoy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted