Bought A Painting Today By Listed Cuban Artist Nicolas Delgado!

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Sep 17, 2020.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I bought this painting by Cuban artist Nicolas Delgado today for $600 (plus I owe $100 more when I sell it). I got it from the same person I bought the Cuban & Brazilian paintings from yesterday that I posted asking for help with the artists' first name.
    I'm posting this just to show you all - and hopefully get your opinion - but if someone could verify that it is Nicolas Delgado's signature I'd sure feel a lot better! (I'm used to paying thrift store prices so this is a little ... nervous inducing!
    Maybe because it's from 1960 - the signature just looks a little different from one I was able to pull up?
    Thank you.

ART PAINTING CUBAN DELGADO NICOLAS 1AA.JPG ART PAINTING CUBAN DELGADO NICOLAS 2AA.JPG ART PAINTING CUBAN DELGADO NICOLAS 3AA.JPG ART PAINTING CUBAN DELGADO NICOLAS 4AA.JPG

aaroncab likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That would be a fairly early work of his. Oil on what?

Debora

4. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Just mentioning I Can’t see any dates below signature on any other paintings I can find.
    42522D9D-5864-48AD-8798-804D059BA4B4.jpeg

5. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

The signature doesnt appear to say nicholas. Lookd to be a letter "d" in there.

6. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Here is one one invaluable and closeup of signature
    20200917_155953.jpg

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The frame appears to be branded? What does it say?

Debora

8. journeymagazine

Canvas

9. journeymagazine

Creative Mark - and under that a hand print

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I think you have to open it up and see what ya really got. Delgado frequently painted oil on paper, on any paper surface he could find.

Debora

11. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

It looks like the original signature was edited over at a different stage cAuse the colour black is different

I don't think it's deception though

Could be a case that it's an earlier work and the artist has resigned it with a date to emphasize the change in signature

Houseful likes this.
  12. journeymagazine

The seller had it framed/refrained because he wanted me to pay that too - but in the end we stuck to original price.

13. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I looked at all of the signatures and they all appear to be done by the same hand.

I think you should open it up too..

14. journeymagazine

Open it up looking for what? It's on canvas and signature is showing; what am I looking for?

15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Well, that's what I was asking. Apparently, he typically painted on paper. Any kind of paper.

Debora

16. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

apologies, i knew this, i had a temporary glitch! ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted