Boudoir Lamp? Murano glass shade?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Graymich64, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Graymich64

Graymich64 Well-Known Member

I found this lovely little lamp at a thrift shop. I can't seem to find anything out there like it. Not sure what to list it as. The glass is beautiful, possibly murano. There are no marks or maker names that I can find. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!! IMG_6881 (1).JPG IMG_6882 (1).JPG IMG_6883 (1).JPG IMG_6884.JPG IMG_6885.JPG

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Modern import. Likely Chinese origin. Patterned after 20s French lamps by Gabriel Argy-Rousseau and others.

3. verybrad

Couldn't think of the other main designer of shades colored like this. Was able to hunt down, Charles Schneider. Here is a dome shade by him with similar coloration.

[​IMG]
    The 20s French shades were pate' de verre. Yours is just blown colored glass given an acid bath for the matte finish.

Figtree3 and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

A Schneider wannabe.

5. Graymich64

Graymich64 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. Is there a way to tell the age of lamps by their wiring? I seem to always get it wrong. I would have thought this was 40's by cord and switch, but probably more like 60's or 70's.

6. verybrad

Plastic wiring became common in the 50s. The gold wiring is 70s or later. A look at the plug can also be telling. The size of the prongs differed depending on code changes. This is in the US. I am sure it could be different elsewhere. Of course anything can be rewired using newer materials so you need to look at the details of the complete item.

Figtree3 and Ghopper1924 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted