Bonsai(?) print w/signature that looks like a date? Stone/Rock face?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Feb 13, 2023.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

These are 2 pieces I found at the thrift store today.
    The first is a print? (litho?) of a Bonsai looking tree on a lake/water - very cool looking, but the signature looks like a date? Any idea who this is?
    Any thoughts on it?
    2nd is a stone/rock carved into a face that looks like it's maybe Polynesian? (guessing) - also the back is smaller & longer and almost looks like the cork end of wine bottle stopper?!
    (sorry for pics from store - I sat it on a Barbie I dream of Jeanie I also got while in line to pay to photograph trying to do an image search.
    Any idea what this is? Is it real?

As always I appreciate any help!

ART PRINT BONSAI TREE B & W PRINT 1AARESIZE.jpg ART PRINT BONSAI TREE B & W PRINT 2AARESIZED.jpg ART PRINT BONSAI TREE B & W PRINT 3AARESIZE.jpg
    ART CARVED STONE FACE CARVED 1AARESIZED.jpg ART CARVED STONE FACE CARVED 2AA.jpg

Boland and johnnycb09 like this.
  2. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

That tree looks like it is tip toeing into the pond!

silverbell and Boland like this.
  3. journeymagazine

lol

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Bonsai is a miniature plant, although they are often grown from larger species (and maintained at small size) by constant pruning. Not sure what this larger plant may be.

5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

the picture has a deco feel to me ? I love that stone head !

6. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Yes,the stone is very cool. How big is it? Weight?

7. journeymagazine

4.5" H x 3.5" W x 5" Deep

Boland likes this.
  8. journeymagazine

Here are better pics of the carved stone face.
    It's got some heft.

ART CARVED STONE FACE CARVED 5AAZZZZ.jpg ART CARVED STONE FACE CARVED 4AA.jpg ART CARVED STONE FACE CARVED 6AARESIZED.jpg ART CARVED STONE FACE CARVED 8AARESIZED.jpg

mirana and Boland like this.
  9. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Just a guess-stone head could be a Taino piece (Pre-Columbian Caribbean Tribe),if it's an old authentic piece excellent.If it's a repro it's still nice,not 'You can finally retire Journey',but nice.
    Could also be Oceania or Mayan.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2023
    mirana likes this.
  10. journeymagazine

11. journeymagazine

This Peruvian Chavin came back on eBay but it's a reproduction - how can I find out if mine is real or a repro? Peruvian Pre Columbian Chavin Style culture - Clava heads - carved in stone | eBay

(although the color of mine looks more like the 1stDibbs real one? Fingers crossed!)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

You found it, journey, it is a 'clava' head in the style of the Peruvian Chavín culture.
    'Style of' means it is a replica, and I am sure that yours is a replica too. The carving is very pristine, and there is no natural wear on the stone.
    Still, a nice thing to have, and I am sure you'll be able to sell it.

verybrad and aaroncab like this.
  13. bosko69

Mayan-I can't figure out if this represents the Mayan deity of 'The Old Man' or 'Xipe Totec' (wearing the skinned face of a sacrifice). Later more representational period,I think ?
    What do you all surmise ?
    MAYAN.jpg

14. journeymagazine

Or a museum quality, pristine condition clava head that somehow was mistakenly donated to a thrift store? (There was an original Jackson Pollack painting found at a yard sale right? lol)

15. bosko69

Clavas from various Peruvian Museums- Clava Museo Larco.jpg Clava Temple Wall Huantar.jpg CLAVA Jpeg II.jpg CLAVA Jpeg III.jpg CLAVA Jpeg.jpg

Any Jewelry and mirana like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

There is always wear on the originals, they were mounted on outside walls:;)

_chavin-de-huantar-archeological-site.jpg

17. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Seeing how they're mounted, now I suddenly want one. Very cool.

18. Any Jewelry

Of course you do!:joyful:

mirana likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted