Featured Bone carving

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by sabre123, Mar 26, 2019.

1. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

So, I won a local auction that had a number of mystery boxes and this bone carving happened to be hiding in one.

8 in. / 20.32 cm tall
    1.75 in. / 4.445 cm at widest

Top of a walking stick? In terms of era, it has a Nouveau period vibe to it, but that is purely a guess based on the flowing, curving plant structure.

Would appreciate any insight.

Another welcomed surprise was a Mason's tureen in Vista pink. See the following:

https://www.replacements.com/p/maso...heAz_-0xUgxGCAFpxKumViz-q-G0aRGBoCB8cQAvD_BwE

BoneCarving.jpg

2. bobsyouruncle

bobsyouruncle Well-Known Member

very interesting..looks like the head of a humerus. Are you sure it is bone and not some type of resin? Is the top frog attached compared to being carved from?

3. sabre123

It's bone. I can see the bone texture on the cross-section at the opening and a couple pieces of fur stuck into it.

It is all carved from one piece. The toad on the top has not been affixed to the piece.

4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

It’s more detailed and elaborate than the few I’m finding on Google. They are alll very plain. :yuck:

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the top of a walking stick, or designed as such.

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

parasol handle....most likely... at 8 inches long....:)
    upload_2019-3-26_15-46-6.jpeg

but......there are other things it could have been attached to.........:wideyed:;)

upload_2019-3-26_15-46-57.jpeg

7. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

8. sabre123

Thx, Komo. I would not have gone down that route.

Christmasjoy, kyratango and komokwa like this.
  9. komokwa

Hey...welcome.....but I'm always open to other suggestions......
    :)

Christmasjoy, kyratango and sabre123 like this.
  10. komokwa

Just don't suggest it's a stick shift from a 454 Trans Am....cuz it ain't !!
    Bawhahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!

Christmasjoy, kyratango and sabre123 like this.
  11. sabre123

The great grandfather of the person who's stuff I got in this auction was in the umbrella/parasol industry! I just found some patent information on a couple of machines, as well as a little journal dated 1904 with some notes on the business.

You may be onto something, Komo!

12. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Komo for the win !?!

13. komokwa

Likely !!! :happy:

They made parasols by the ton....& lots were fashionable art.....but lots of the handles 'were' art works.....and it seems they survived better than the broken parasols..;):):)

14. komokwa

After a wind storm....the city trash cans are full of umbrellas that could not handle the climate ......but I've yet to see someone throw away a carved handle...or say...one topped with gold or silver !!!

15. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi komokwa,
    It's true. I have a Queen Victoria parasol handle somewhere in this mess. The silk rotted away years ago and the ribs got lost in a move but the handle is a keeper.
    I always thought I would find a replacement for the parasol but old age got to me before the structure. My favorite niece wants the handle perhaps she will get it fixed before she gets old.
    greg

16. komokwa

I like the idea of repurposing them.....

17. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I have a magnifying glass with a handle carved in 'natural material' that I bought as a gift for my late mother back in the 70s, but the handle almost certainly started out long before on a parasol.

Christmasjoy, komokwa and sabre123 like this.
  18. Shwikman

Shwikman Well-Known Member

Question: if you found out that was a human bone would you keep it?

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  19. sabre123

I don't plan on keeping it, regardless. But, if it were found to be human, I'd certainly disclose it. I don't plan on doing too much digging into that.

There are a few pieces of short, tough, fur embedded in the hollow section. I'm thinking the fur landed inside during processing.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  20. komokwa

Well, if I needed a spare......sure !! :playful:

Ghopper1924 and sabre123 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted