Featured BONE & BAMBOO MAHJONG SET (ca. 1925)

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Shangas, Nov 3, 2023.

1. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Picked this up while out window-shopping today:

MJSET03.jpg MJSET01.jpg MJSET05.jpg MJSET06.jpg MJSET07.jpg MJSET08.jpg

It's about 100 years old, give-or-take, and in AMAZING condition. Usually these things are cracked, broken, split, missing pieces and just...not usable.

This one is in fantastic condition, barring a bit of wear and paint-loss. No missing pieces, and in full operational condition.

I need to repaint some of the tiles, but that should be relatively easy.

2. Shangas

The individual tile-sets:

MJSET09.jpg MJSET10.jpg MJSET11.jpg MJSET12.jpg

And all the tally-sticks, wind-indicators, dice, spare tiles, etc...

MJSET13.jpg

As you can see, some of the tiles are missing paint. I intend to paint them back in so that they look fresh.

3. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

stracci likes this.
  4. Shangas

Thanks.

According to one collector, it's from 1921, so it's 102 years old!

kentworld, stracci and Potteryplease like this.
  5. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

They are still being made identically in chicom

6. Shangas

The cheap, crappy modern ones, yeah.

7. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Nice set! It is in very nice condition. I bought a job lot of like 4-5 sets a few years ago. It had a set with tiles made of the forbidden material. It ended up going for like $1100 or so. Multiple offers to end auction early and sell Of course I didn’t advertise what they were made of. There are collectors that scour every set on “the bay” I guess. I think the bone ones brought 100-200 or so per set. If you find a forbidden set snap it up!

Shangas likes this.
  8. Shangas

I've seen loads of old mahjong sets. I've yet to see one made of the "forbidden material" as you call it...even though LOADS of people like to claim that the ones they're selling are.

J Dagger likes this.
  9. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

I made no claim, the buyers did with their bids though! I get what you’re saying. Something the elite had, not the regular well off probably. It came out of a serious old money/old family manor/estate.

10. Shangas

I know such sets DO exist, I've seen photos, but they're among the tiny, tiny minority of mahjong sets. I've even seem some super luxurious ones made of precious metals and materials and stones and such. Absolutely beautiful, but I don't think you'd ever want to play with them (which is a bit of a shame).

That said, I would have no fears of playing with this one. It's in stunning condition!

J Dagger likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted