Featured Bob Ross's first tv painting goes on sale

Discussion in 'Art' started by 916Bulldogs123, Sep 21, 2023.

1. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Absurd ! Then again I feel the same way about Highway Men paintings. They created a market where there wasnt one. Some were talented,but the majority Ive seen were pure schlock . I like Bob as much as the next person,my gran loved watching him,but to call him a great ,or even good artist is a stretch .In my humble opinion.

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

He certainly was prolific.

4. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

My eyes hurt after reading the article

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

$9,850,000. And even comes with a COA. Wonder how much they're charging for shipping.

Debora

6. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

The price is based on cultural icon significance way more than artistic merit.

Gatoblanconz, reader, Drew and 7 others like this.
  7. Mark London

Even then, they just pulled a stupid number out of thin air

reader, 916Bulldogs123 and johnnycb09 like this.
  8. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

Bob Ross is okay, but for that money I'd rather have a furnished seaside mansion.

9. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Target market is those who already have furnished seaside mansions(plural) and need to decorate them with conversation pieces.

10. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

I can't get that ginger afro out of my head ! Bob was sweet PBS pablum,the same as the endless Lawrence Welk reruns.It was good in the pre YouTube era that Granny could enjoy Myron Floren & the Lennon Sisters.
    Of course in the 50's,when the Welk show was broadcast live,Charlie Parker & Nat Cole were also amongst the living-to each their own.

11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Bob was One Toke Over the Line (and yes the Lawrence Welk singers covered that one once. ) For that kind of money I'd want the TV production studio along with the painting.

12. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

"We don't make mistakes, just happy accidents".

13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I hear his 2nd ever painting is going on the block for an estimated price of......
    wait for it............:nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:
    $ 113.36

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::confused:

14. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I watch his reruns now and then of Bob Ross when I need to calm down. Can veg out on his voice for sure. I would never pay that much for a painting (even if I had the money) as that is not my taste.
    My grandmother loved Lawrence Welk and I loved her, so I put up with it.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2023
  15. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Another thing I never understood.:confused:

16. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

And have more money than sense or taste.:rolleyes:

17. Antiquefab

Antiquefab Well-Known Member

[Verybrad] sure was right,the cost of framing has gone up exponentially,the frame on that Bob Ross must easily be $5000000 ;)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2023
  18. Mark London

The highest record for a Bob Ross on Liveauctioneers is $41k with most selling for well under $10k. IMHO his paintings are no better than, and not more valuable than the worst factory paintings. All you are paying for is the signature.

19. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

It's not about the painting, it's about the larger art of his show and his recognition as an entertainer. So more a sale of a prop than a painting for arts sake.

The people buying at this level are just trying to find investment pieces to diversify their portfolios, like the terrible things they've done to real estate. Yay, Art Market Bubble.

20. silverbell

silverbell Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted