Featured Blue White Earthenware Dish

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Mat, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Could you please help me to identify this dish? The diameter is 22 cm. It is European, but how old is it and where was it made? It has three stilt marks on the back close to the rim...
    Thank you,
    Mat

F1a.jpg F2a.jpg

Attached Files:

• F3a.jpg
      F3a.jpg
      File size:
      71.4 KB
      Views:
    Bakersgma, yourturntoloveit and judy like this.
  2. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

This is a bit of a guess, but I've seen 18th century tin glazed Dutch Delft with those 3 stilt marks. It could even be London or Bristol delft.
    The stylised peacock feather design I've seen on a Dutch charger too but you need others to chime in.

Mat likes this.
  3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

It looks 18th C to me but zeroing in on the origin I'm not sure. I agree that there are feather designs on Dutch Delft but I'm not sure I've seen this particular version.

Some generalizations I think, if there is crazing then it's an indication that it's probably British rather than Dutch however lack of crazing doesn't eliminate British. The flat bottom shape is usually an earlier shape once you get past some of the very early pieces.

I did look through the books in the photo (too lazy to type but with more British than other) without seeing this pattern or any close. I figure it might keep anyone from wondering what might be in these. I wouldn't read anything in to that as it's a fairly simple pattern and those that make it to print are often elaborate. I didn't delve into the text.

Anyway, here are two guides to plate shape dating that you might use as a guide though they both are primarily referring to British tin-glazed delftware.

upload_2017-12-11_12-4-4.png

upload_2017-12-11_12-7-15.png

upload_2017-12-11_12-8-40.png

upload_2017-12-11_12-10-50.png

4. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Thank you Houseful and say_it_slowly for your help! The shape of my dish is that of "G" in the second picture (or H in the first one), so if my dish is British it would be early 18th c Bristol, it seems. I will check if that was used in the Netherlands, too.
    Mat

Draft saved Draft deleted