Blue Pottery Vase ID Help Burley Winter?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kraftblue, Jul 27, 2016.

1. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

Picked this up from an awesome sale. Stands 5" tall and is unmarked. 1st thought was Burley Winter.

vase1.JPG vase2.JPG vase3.JPG

2. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hi Kraftblue - I think the clay color is wrong for Burley Winter.
    Don

3. kraftblue

Thanks Don

Kath

4. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Most of the vases are marked (some very faintly) with something that looks like the mark below. I think it's a mold number. I double checked and found that some were unmarked. Here's some reading, if you're interested, Kath.
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/PRIMITIVE-BU...D-VASE-MOTTLED-MATTE-BLUE-GLAZE-/371409965695
    Below is the very lightest blue I could find, and it was a real exception to the other blues, AND it wasn't marked... just the seller claimed it was BW. What do you think, Don? Lack of mark AND the odd blue would make me nervous about claiming BW for either, I guess.

il_570xN.665584965_sntd.jpg $_35.jpg

5. kraftblue

Thanks Galeria. I have seen that blue shape before. Brush? Amaco? Will read that link and look in my Brush book after dinner.

6. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Believe this may be Brush-McCoy New Art Vellum, though that clay looks awfully white.

8. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

The only mark I've ever found on Burley Winter are mold numbers. I believe verybrad is correct that the example above is Brush-McCoy but Hull and Haeger have very similar shapes. I think the bottom shot above may have whited out due to flash or excess lighting. As far as I now neither the Brush-McCoy, the Hull nor the Haeger are marked. The vase Kath has is very pretty but I'm at a loss as to who to suggest as a possible maker.
    Don

9. kraftblue

Thanks Brad and Don

Kath

Draft saved Draft deleted