Blue Pottery Flower Frog

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kraftblue, Dec 13, 2016.

1. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

Would anyone know the maker of this flower frog? Stands 1 1/8" and measures 2 5/8" across the base.

frog1.JPG frog2.JPG frog3.JPG

lauragarnet likes this.
  2. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

Last photo - upper right edge - is that a mark of some sort?

lauragarnet and Bakersgma like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Agree - there's some letters there but I can't read them. First looks like perhaps a K?

lauragarnet likes this.
  4. kraftblue

There is nothing there. Just the way the light is hitting it. Just some crazing.

lauragarnet likes this.
  5. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

This where I thought I saw something . . .

frog3.jpg

lauragarnet likes this.
  6. kraftblue

That's a tough one. Even with a glass I cannot read it.

lauragarnet likes this.
  7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

That was my thought, too, Messi. It really does look like something more than "crazing." Still illegible.

lauragarnet likes this.
  8. kraftblue

And I thought that was a little chip.

lauragarnet likes this.
  9. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

My first guess would be Japanese Awaji pottery. The little impressed mark might be Japanese text. :confused:

10. kraftblue

Thanks Lauragarnet

lauragarnet likes this.
  11. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Include me in on seeing something there. On inverting the colors it looks possibly like "Ko.." with at least 1 letter after the "o". Now it looks like something printed after that area. It is possibly numbers or letters. It is nearly impossible to decipher for it is on 2 areas of color.

--- Susan

IMG_2703.JPG

lauragarnet likes this.
  12. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

blue-pottery-flower-frog-01.jpg
    Is there an under-glaze mark?

I didn't think it would be, but it is difficult to find an Awaji pottery flower frog online. I can only find two similar to yours, both on WorthPoint.

The measurements are roughly the same as yours on this one, and even a little "chip" in approximately the same spot, too. The pic is tiny, so not much detail.
    [​IMG]
    [..]The flower frog is the same blue color. It has 8 holes in it for flowers. It measures 1" tall, and 3" across the bottom. It has one old chip out of the bottom edge on the underside of the frog. It has Japan in black on the bottom.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    via WorthPoint: Antique Blue Flower Frog & Float Bowl Japan Awaji Danto
    Source: eBay Sold Date: Dec 09, 2007

LIbraryLady, Bakersgma and Ladybranch like this.
  13. kraftblue

That I think is the same flower frog. Same thin darker blue stripe at the base. And now that you show the mark I do see a darker spot on the base. Hard to see because there is crazing. I bet mine is the same maker! Thanks a bunch!

14. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Good find Laura! Looking closely at the pic with the bottoms of both the vase and the frog, it looks like only the vase has the bird mark. The base of the frog seems to have only one word, possibly Japan. I tried zooming in on that spot on yours. I really couldn't see what it was, but it didn't look like a bird to me. Following is a cropped pic of the marks on the WorthPoint site. I haven't a doubt your frog is the same.

--- Susan

IMG_2726.JPG

lauragarnet likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted