Blue Onion Reproduction?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Karen40s, Feb 23, 2023.

1. Karen40s

Karen40s New Member

Good morning! This blue onion cordial(?) was in a box lot from a high end estate sale. There are no visible markings. There seems to be a grey hue to glazing, and the design is not as clear as other blue onion items I have seen. The cobalt seems to have muted edges like flow blue pieces. Of course, the double lines on the base got my attention, and I wondered if this is truly a reproduction. Thanks for any input you can give. The size is 2-1/2" at top and 3-7/8" in height. Blue Onion Side.jpeg Blue Onion Bot.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 23, 2023
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Blue onion (Zwiebelmuster) was made by many manufacturers. It is a popular design, just like willow pattern.

3. lvetterli

lvetterli Well-Known Member

That looks like an egg cup to me....

pearlsnblume and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It probably is. Would be nice to know the size.

5. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I believe it is an egg cup as well.
    Many years ago I found some of these in my thrift shop. Some had a Japan sticker on them. I will see if any had more markings than that and will come back if I find out more.

6. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Maybe it's a reflection but it does look like there is some sort of incised mark on the bottom.

pearlsnblume likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted