Blue daisy and button vase - mid-century or EAPG?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Pat P, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

This vase had an honored place in our kitchen when I was growing up, but I don't know it's age or origin. I don't see any marks on it and didn't see anything like it in Google and eBay searches.

I have many daisy and button EAPG pieces that my mother collected, but I don't know if this is one she bought as an antique or if it was a mid-century reproduction? The edges aren't very sharp nor is the pattern as deep as in some of the pieces I know are EAPG.

It's also the only piece I have in this color. Not sure what to call this shade of blue?

Are the lines around the neck and on the flared top stretch marks? Do those types of marks appear on both antique and newer glassware?

One more question, please... there's greenish gunk that I assume is from the vase having held flowers in water. What's the best way to get rid of it in the areas I can't reach with a toothbrush?

Thanks for any info. :)

bluedbvase01.JPG

Attached Files:

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  2. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I personally have not seen that squashed silhouette in an older one, but I'm not the definitive answer. I like the color and it would fit nicely on a windowsill.

3. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
    yourturntoloveit and Pat P like this.
  4. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Thanks, Bev and TallCakes.

I looked up Clevenger Brothers and found what looks like the same vase in two different colors. It's confusing, though... for the first one the seller says it's marked with "CB" and is a repro. For the second one, a different seller says it's Clevenger Brothers AND says it's EAPG... but from what I just saw in Google, Clevenger Brothers was founded in 1930, so that can't be.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Vintage-Clev...989891?hash=item2eeb2b7703:g:iCYAAOSw14xWQjXc

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EAPG-Cleven...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Since my vase doesn't have the "CB," not sure what to think.

5. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Don't fret. Just send it to me and I'll put it on my kitchen windowsill. :cat:

6. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

LOL! :)

What's funny is that although I love the color, it doesn't fit anywhere in my house, so I am thinking of selling it.

In my mother's kitchen, there were small curved shelves next to the window, and that's where this sat for many years.

7. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

they didn't mark everything and it fairly recent, and made in various colors; usually listed as bottle or flask or decanter

yourturntoloveit and Pat P like this.
  8. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

...there's greenish gunk that I assume is from the vase having held flowers in water. What's the best way to get rid of it in the areas I can't reach with a toothbrush?

Pat, I've had success with denture cleaning tablets.

I buy the store brand (cheaper!) Drop one in, fill the vase with water, and leave overnight. In the morning, rinse well.

It has worked for me!

Pat P likes this.
  9. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Thanks, TallCakes. I guess then that's probably what this is. The lack of depth and sharpness in the pattern did make me suspicious it wasn't older.

10. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Thanks, C. That's what I'll try!

11. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I didn't see the amberina one before... thanks for that TallCakes. I'll be able to get good info from the label.

For all I know, this repro may be what started my mother collecting daisy and button EAPG. I'm not sure when it first appeared in our kitchen. I know she started her collection in the late '50s or very early '60s.

12. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Don't get rid of your vase just because of the color "not fitting." A splash of something quite different can be very effective!

Pat P and gregsglass like this.
  13. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I agree, Silver. I have *lots* of splashes of colors in every room. But this shade of blue/turquoise does not work very well with the other splashes or the main colors.

Anyway, I need to downsize both to clear space and to bring in $$, and I think this will sell readily. Plus I don't even have a clear space to display it! :rolleyes:

Draft saved Draft deleted