Blue Cut Glass Bowl

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kardinalisimo, Apr 16, 2015.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Actually I am not very good at telling cut from pressed glass so not sure what is the case here. It is a bit iridized as the blue changes from light to dark. Is the piece considered carnival glass? Any suggestions on maker/origin?
    Thanks
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

KingofThings likes this.
  2. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I believe it's a Fenton daisy and button ruffled dish.

KingofThings likes this.
  3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    It is pressed and a gorgeous shade of blue.
    greg

4. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Thanks.
    I see online something like " made FOR LG Wright". I don't get that. As far as I understand Fenton bought the mold from them, so what is the whole story?

5. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Wright owned the molds for most of the glass he marketed. He took them to which ever maker was gining him the best deal. When he closed the mods were one of the most valuable assets and they were auctioned off. Several companies bought them. so Fenton could have acquired this at the dispersal auction. If they did it should be marked with a cursive F in an oval on the base. These are sometimes very faint.

6. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Pressed glass is molded has smooth edges on all parts. Cut glass has been actually cut with a wheel and has sharp edges.

7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

With a caveat, though. ;) If you acid treat or fire polish the cuts, they can be quite smooth.

8. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

True, but if you hold the two types next to each other, I still think you can tell the difference. Being a "glassie" I usually can tell. I have this bowl in clear. Actually, I have it in Carnival glass as well.

9. fenton

fenton Well-Known Member

Most of LG Wright's mold went to China.

10. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Fenton,
    That is interesting to know. i guess that is where Rosso gets all of their items from.
    greg

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  11. fenton

fenton Well-Known Member

Mosser, in Cambridge Oh. bought some Molds too. Makes glass for Rosso, in Port Vue Pa.

gregsglass likes this.
  12. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Cut vs Pressed. Bleeding is a determinant.

:)

Draft saved Draft deleted