Blue and white jug (ironstone?) but with Chinese mark

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by DanB, Aug 23, 2024.

1. DanB

DanB New Member

Hi

Could anyone help me identify what this jug/pitcher is? The ware seems v similar to an ironstone cheese dish I have but the mark at the bottom is Chinese. Could it be a staffordshire ware piece done up to look like something more exotic?

Any pointers welcome.

Thanks!

Dan

Attached Files:

2. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

There…. That’s better ;)

IMG_4423.jpeg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

From the background color, if the display is accurate, I'd think it goes the other way. Bombay Company special maybe?

4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

5. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

IMHO it may be a not very old decorative import piece. The sort of stuff sold in TJ/TK Maxx.

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

7. Carnivant

Carnivant Active Member

The mark says Da Qing Qianlong, but is missing its typical Nian Zhi (basically it has four characters as opposed to its regular six). Here's some relevant information on that kind of mark from a helpful cite. :)
    MARK.png
    (https://gotheborg.com/marks/20thcenturychina.shtml)

Any Jewelry and Potteryplease like this.
  8. DanB

DanB New Member

Thank you to all who have replied with their insights. So it seems likely this is a Chinese or Hong Kong reproduction from the 1970s to the 1990s?

I also have a cheese dish with similar cobalt design and similar blueish hue marked Ironstone below a lion and unicorn insignia and I suppose that originates from China too…

9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

They’re still made. Usually mainland China rather than Hong Kong. And yes, your other one sounds the same.

Draft saved Draft deleted