Featured Blenko, sea green?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by verybrad, Feb 7, 2024.

1. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Think this is a Blenko 404L in sea green. Confirm? Thinking of buying. It is huge but will need to confirm the 15-16" size it should be. Bottom is right. 20240206_175820~3.jpg

Last edited: Feb 7, 2024
  2. verybrad

Last edited: Feb 7, 2024
    judy and Bronwen like this.
  3. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

comparative image in 1959 catalog with sizes:

upload_2024-2-7_12-39-41.png

upload_2024-2-7_12-40-14.png

Figtree3, judy, bercrystal and 3 others like this.
  4. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

That wouldn't be a Good Will tag onna back of pic 1...would it?

verybrad likes this.
  5. verybrad

Thanks. Catalog pic looks pretty flat on the bottom. Is a Goodwill tag. A little pricey for thrift store but today is senior discount day. Will go for it if still there. If not, it was not meant to be.

Figtree3, KSW, judy and 3 others like this.
  6. wlwhittier

GO! Now! Hurry!!

judy and verybrad like this.
  7. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Brad-If your Goodwill has Blenko,it must be in a parallel universe.Go for it alternate dimention Brad !

KSW, judy, verybrad and 2 others like this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Hit a Blenko bowl in mine last year, and even some bookends at one point. These days it's rare to find anything worth standing in line for.

KSW, judy, verybrad and 2 others like this.
  9. verybrad

Was able to buy it! With senior day discount it was $15.20. Most of the locals here haven't a clue about modern glass. Anything over $10.00 tends to sit. This Goodwill is always busy and this is at least the third day this has been out. I knew I still had a very good chance of it being there.

This is the second large Blenko for me in the past few weeks. The other one is posted in the finds thread and was quite a bit cheaper from a different thrift. Saw a third smaller piece with original label yesterday, again in a different thrift, but it had a chip. Not sure why the Blenko is suddenly coming out the woodwork.

Figtree3, KSW, judy and 3 others like this.
  10. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Congrats Brad-You're little suburb's a magical kingdom,one of the few pastures of plenty left.It must almost be like pickin' back in the old days !

KSW, judy, verybrad and 1 other person like this.
  11. evelyb30

I went to the Ill Will here today and spent $00.00. It used to be that the nice glass is what got missed by the back room crew. Not any more.

KSW, judy and wlwhittier like this.
  12. wlwhittier

It may be worth mentioning that here at least (Port Angeles, WA) everything that's donated goes to Seattle for processing & pricing. Nothing is done as far as evaluation or price assignment in this local store...it all gets done in Seattle. The folks in the backroom can barely handle donations, let alone pricing.

Figtree3, KSW, judy and 1 other person like this.
  13. verybrad

Pricing is done here but anything good is supposed to go to auction. I am sure they saw this as a run of the mill Chinese decor item.

Figtree3, KSW, judy and 2 others like this.
  14. Martin s

Martin s Well-Known Member

Here in Ireland the in the larger big named charity shops its very seldom now that you come across anything interesting but there are still a couple of Charity shops that i know that nice stuff still surface.i go to one in particular a big warehouse that have a big turnover its like they dont check anything over ,no prices on any item you just show them what you want and they just make up a price off the top of their head..Have got loads of interesting stuff there

Figtree3, KSW, verybrad and 1 other person like this.
  15. verybrad

Sounds like a great place! Used to be this guy who hit the flea market circuit in IL and IN. Called himself, Mr. Cheap or Free. He brought boxes of mixed vintage stuff that he laid out on the ground in rows for people to go through. You would hold an item up and he would shoot you a reasonable price. Occasionally, if he liked your looks, he would give you the item for free. Always had a mob at opening.

Figtree3 and lvetterli like this.
  16. Martin s

Martin s Well-Known Member

That guy in the flea market sounds like a good guy.no wonder he was mobed.
    I find some of the charity shops over hear now are overpricing on some stuff like not unusual to be asking €50 for items they use to offer for a couple of euro.At least the money is going to a good cause which is a bonus.The warehouse i mentioned is a charity shop too and has everything from porcelain to books and paintings and furniture but youd rarely be askd for more than €15 for something and that would be a piece of furniture.They work on a big turnover id say.Always stuff going in and out and a good chance you come across something right at the entrance where people have just dropped their donations.Like I picked up that Castiglioni cocoon lamp that you so kindly identified there yesterday ,and they asked me €6 for it.Thanks again for the id on that one.

Figtree3 and verybrad like this.
  17. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I bet Blenko is showing up because the collectors are going into nursing homes and the heirs have no clue or no desire for glass. A "younger " generation is probably working in the Goodwills and they to not know what to look for. I feel I have a pretty good eye, as obviously members of this site have, based on their finds. I can usually look across a room and spot a promising item based on the glaze or the other quality clues. Same with jewelry. That takes experience . I have tried to pass on how to spot good items with some of my 30-40 year old friends. They are starting at ground Zero in most cases. Most of them never grew up around this stuff.

Figtree3, verybrad and komokwa like this.
  18. evelyb30

The "kids" grew up with Mom and Dad who grew up in the 70s and later. Into the 90s in some cases. Their parents didn't have fancy glass, or if they did it was inherited from Grandma and Grandpa. Maybe they had Princess House, etc. The know plastic toys and comic books, some of which are now worth a small fortune.

verybrad likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted