Featured Black Stone Heart Scarab

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Jannie Groenewald, Apr 26, 2022.

1. Jannie Groenewald

Jannie Groenewald Active Member

20220426_095845.jpg 20220426_095859.jpg 20220426_100822.jpg Good day
    A friend of mine ask me to find out more about this carved scarab in his mom's collection. I have no idea where it is from but the paper wrapping got words on it. Persian is all I can read. It was collected in the 1940's.
    Thank you

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2022
  2. George Chaney

George Chaney Well-Known Member

Please note, I am not an expert. Love the old egyptian jewelry and have dealt in quite a bit of it.... so, it is my opinion the writing on the paper was done with a quill pen. I have antique books with similar script styles, but they are in storage right now. It could be an item from the egyptian revival, but given it was part of a collection from the 1940's, I suspect it may be from the middle kingdom period, maybe black schist? A find someone may have brought home from egypt during the revival period.

That said, I would have expected to see some writing on the underside of the scarab, so I am not sure what that means. Hopefully an experienced expert will be able to offer more details. In the past, when I've been in good fortune to purchase or find old artifacts, I have reached out to University's who deal in the subject matter. They are usually quite excited and very helpful.

2manybooks and Boland like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

That word above Persian looks like Bactrian to me, but have no idea what the implication might be.

4. Vendric

Vendric Member

The label reads Parthia Persia Arsacid. The Arsacid empire lasted from c.250 BC to c.250 AD. I have no idea if this scarab is Arsacid.

Born2it, Fid, Silverthorne and 3 others like this.
  5. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Wow impressive Vendric,and potentially very exciting. Hopefully we can get some more answers.

Born2it likes this.
  6. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

JUSTIN JAMES likes this.
  7. Jannie Groenewald

Jannie Groenewald Active Member

There are actually coins from that time and era in her collection. Could be they were inside the wrapping.

Born2it and 2manybooks like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted