Black Oval Roaster Pan Speckled White Enamel Granite Ware Roasting Pan

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by rknarr2, Oct 9, 2023.

1. rknarr2

rknarr2 Well-Known Member

Black Oval Roaster Pan Speckled Enamel Granite Ware Roasting Pan
    Base dimensions are as follows:
    The base midsection length with handles is about 13 1/4" and without handles is around 12 1/2"
    The base midsection width is near 8 1/4" and the base height approximately 3 1/2"
    Lid dimensions are as follows:
    The lid height with top handle is about 3 and without top handle is around 2 1/4"
    Base and Lid height dimensions are as follows:
    The base and lid height with top handle is near 6" and without top handle is approximately 5 1/4"

In the title, is enamel the black? What is Granite Ware? Is Granite Ware the speckled white, a company (brand name) or the type of roasting pan? What can I use to remove
    the rust stain from the bottom as shown in the second picture? Thank you for assistant in these requests.
    Rob
    IMG_0334small.jpg IMG_0343small.jpg IMG_0344small.jpg

ulilwitch and judy like this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Graniteware is enamel ware that is speckled. The bottom of your pan discoloration is likely due to scorching. If the enamel is intact, it may come out. I would use a scouring powder with bleach (such as Comet) to see if that will do the trick. Otherwise, you may wait here to see if anyone else has some suggestions.

3. rknarr2

Thank you for unconfusing me on graniteware and explaining the rust discoloration at the bottom of the pan and a possible solution. I will make changes to my selling listing to make it more understandable.
    Rob

ulilwitch, judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

My mother and grandmother had a similar one. Great for brisket.

NanaB, ulilwitch and judy like this.
  5. rknarr2

Thank you for sharing that memory with me.
    Rob

ulilwitch, pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  6. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

If a scouring powder doesn't work, you could try a rust dissolver. I've used Permatex Rust Dissolver Gel to remove rust from metal objects, but haven't tried it on enamelware. I usually had to do more than one application to remove all or most of the rust. I bought it in the automotive department of a store, but it's also sold on Amazon. I've also used Loctite Naval Jelly Rust Remover or Dissolver but it seems like Permatex worked better. If you decide to try it, maybe test on a small area first.

ulilwitch likes this.
  7. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

8. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I have one in my cupboard right now and used it last week for my Sunday roast!
    Granite Ware is actually a brand name but has become universally used to describe these types of speckled black enamel cookware items... kinda like Kleenex being used to describe all bathroom tissue. The name, I suppose, comes from the finish resembling granite... and the manufacturer wanting to suggest the durability of granite.
    Granite Ware is still widely available in many shapes and sizes. A 13" oval roaster can be found new for under $20:
    https://www.acehardware.com/departm...Py3FSiIWQkFTMLsLspBoCWz0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
    If the discoloration on yours is rust, IMHO it's only fit for the trash. Even if you're able to remove the rust, the finish underneath is compromised and that's where food sits during cooking.
    If instead it's burnt on food, a series of soapy hot water soaks and gentle scouring may help. Otherwise, again, only fit for the trash.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2023
    NanaB, verybrad, ulilwitch and 3 others like this.