Black On Black Pottery Box Maria Matinez?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by cxgirl, Jun 24, 2014.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Trying to figure out who made this small box, it belongs to a friend of mine. These are the only photos she sent, I have asked for one of the base - 3 1/2"L x 2 1/2"W x 3"H (the handle is 1").
    Any thoughts or ideas?
    thanks for looking
    Mary

2. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Sorry, here are the photos.
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

5. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

That bottom picture might be really helpful.
    Janet

6. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

The box just doesn't show the craftsmanship and attention to detail associated with Maria's work. She was noted for her exceptional "gun-metal" polishing, which virtually no other potters could duplicate. The handle on this box also looks a little thick and heavy and not like her work. While there are several published photos of boxes that she made, I would say that this one isn't hers. Just an observation based on handling a lot of Maria pots over the year.

Also, the signature on the private sale box in the link provided, is not an authentic Maria Martinez signature. There were other potters named Maria, and also some who would sign as "Maria," since it tended to increase the price a pot could receive.

Maria was also known to sign pots she didn't make herself. It's a rather controversial issue, but the general consensus is that she felt if she could help fellow San Ildefonso potters by signing her name, she would, with the idea that she didn't "own" the San Ildefonso pottery style and didn't want to appear to be taking credit for it. What this all means is that the signature on any given pot has less to do with authenticating it, than the style and craftsmanship of the work itself does.

cxgirl likes this.
  7. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

And there are probably a hundred times more pots, signed and unsigned, attributed to Maria Martinez, than she ever could have made in her lifetime.

Even if it is not signed, which I wouldn't expect it to be, it is still a very desirable early black-on-black box, and should sell well, regardless of who the potter was.

cxgirl likes this.
  8. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Thanks for the links and info! Sorry about not having the base photo, she still hasn't sent it, just said there is nothing on it.
    Brad,the box in your first link is very similar in construction, especially the handle.
    Tapou, some excellent information, thank-you. That is interesting that she would sign other makers pots - I've heard it many times that you have to look at everything to authenticate not just the signature. I have 2 pots, one is signed Maria & Julian, the other is signed Desideria, (her sister) - they both have wear but are beautiful pieces.
    Thanks again!
    Mary

Draft saved Draft deleted