Featured Black and Clear Glass Centerpiece Footed Bowl

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KikoBlueEyes, Aug 2, 2022.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone. I know it's been a while, but I'm back for a week or so and then off again. Little time for hunting fun things, but I did run across this Black and clear Rimmed Footed Glass Centerpiece Bowl in my wanderings. It is 12 inches in diameter and 6 inches high. The design of clear section under the bowl speaks to an earlier age at least to me; it seems more ornate than you would see in modern pieces. You can see the pontil scar on the bottom but no other mark that I can see. The black color seemed unusual. It is highly polished and lustrous. I couldn't find anything like it in my searches. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_6031.jpg IMG_6027.jpg IMG_6020 (1).jpg IMG_6021 (1).jpg IMG_6024 (1).jpg IMG_6025.jpg

2. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

Your bowl's twin is on eBay with no ID or no original sticker either.
    Screenshot_2022-08-02-22-44-14.png
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/354129666439?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28

A swoopy shaped bowl listed on Etsy with same stem knob (I think the knob is the same, I have trouble comparing when I have to flip back and forth between pages). The seller says Murano glass made in Italy but no explanation why that ID and no original sticker. I'm guessing because it is sommerso(sp?) glass the seller assumes it is Murano Italian.
    Screenshot_2022-08-02-22-58-39.png
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/1114185379/vintage-murano-black-clear-cased-white

So... I guess all you know from looking at this is that there are a couple more floating out there in the world somewhere, LOL.

3. KikoBlueEyes

Wowsa. That was fast! Thank you so very much. I must have not used the right search terms. I also used Google Image search. This is great. By knob you mean the piece between the bowl and the base. Love it new word.

4. LauraGarnet02

I'm pretty sure I've seen other people call it a knop, also.
    EDIT: P.S. tomorrow if you have sunshine, you should hold that bowl up to the sunlight and see if it looks purple. If it does, then you have black amethyst glass.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
  5. KikoBlueEyes

Ooops knop Thank you.

bercrystal likes this.
  6. KikoBlueEyes

At first, I was thinking Murano - yeah right, but this seller has a five star rating and almost 1,700 items sold. The knops look the same to me too.

bercrystal and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  7. LauraGarnet02

Knob vs knop... I had to look it up:joyful: Knop is an ornamental knob!
    Screenshot_2022-08-02-23-33-39.png

bercrystal and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  8. KikoBlueEyes

That made me laugh!!! :joyful::joyful::joyful:

9. KikoBlueEyes

Oh my goodness, That would be magical. I'll tell you how it works out. The black seems kind of strange for an ornamental bowl.

bercrystal and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  10. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

This bowl is very nice and I would give it a place in my collection. I really like the black glass. However, it does remind me of a similar bowl in orange that I've seen a million times and it originally came as an FTD florist bowl.

11. KikoBlueEyes

Good point. A lot of very nice stuff from China is now being used by FTD florists. This one has use scratches in the bowl and on the bottom. So I'm guessing not new.

bercrystal and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

13. LauraGarnet02

KikoBlueEyes and bercrystal like this.
  14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

White Cristal is an Empoli maker.

15. KikoBlueEyes

I am stunned you found all these, and with one a sticker!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really had my doubts about this bowl and left it there for several days before I bought. It kept calling to me. I looked up White Cristal and they are still in business. Thanks so much tracking these down. I really appreciate your help.

16. KikoBlueEyes

White Cristal is still in existence and gives an Italian address. WhiteCristal | Company No grinding marks. Polished all the way around. A slight blemish on the pontil scar. No bubbles.
    IMG_6032 (1).JPG

bercrystal likes this.
  17. KikoBlueEyes

Nope. No color chnage in the light, but it is a very dense black.
    IMG_6034.JPG IMG_6035.jpg

bercrystal likes this.
  18. KikoBlueEyes

Thanks for this. I couldn't tell from the address. I very much appreciate your knowledge about this. Everybody is throwing out Murano, but I am always suspicious. It is very nice, but not especially creative.

19. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Usually to see the amethyst you hold it up to bright light or outside in the sunshine & look through the glass rather than looking down at the piece.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  20. KikoBlueEyes

Yes I held it up but didn't have a hand to take the photo :)

BoudiccaJones and bercrystal like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted