Bisque doll part, with mark

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by say_it_slowly, Sep 4, 2022.

1. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

A friend found what I believe is the arm or leg fragment from a bisque doll in the basement of an old house being torn down here in VA. It has a mark of some sort on it. I did direct her to the dollreference.com site and I started to look a bit but I'm not sure if this is mentioned somewhere there or not.

She is wondering if the mark is of the maker or if it means something else and if there is a way to date it. This fragment measures 1¼" long. The house where it was found was built in the 19th C but the area is older.

Thank you everyone for any help! @judy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar with that mark.

Finding it difficult to associate it with a doll. Sure is tiny!(although tiny dolls exist).

If it is a doll part, then the mark isn't necessarily that of the doll maker, but ID's the part itself.

3. say_it_slowly

I don't know that this helps but using an Ebay auction photo where they say the arms are 2¾", I don't have the comparison in size quite right but it's an idea of what it might have been like (I think). They also have a chart but I don't know where it came from. I am just guessing though on what it is.

upload_2022-9-5_9-26-6.png

upload_2022-9-5_9-28-50.png

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133186800242

Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
  4. say_it_slowly

Thanks @judy I was wondering if it's a roman numeral V for 5 but still just guessing.

judy and komokwa like this.
  5. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I thought the same.

SIS provided a good photo............unusual form. My guess it was attached to a cloth body.

But I could be wrong.................

BoudiccaJones and say_it_slowly like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted