Bill Doyle irish photographer

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Martin s, Jan 18, 2024.

1. Martin s

Martin s Well-Known Member

Hi.
    I came across this framed what looks like photograph.the photograph measures 16 inches by 12 inches out of frame

The photograph itself is not signed but underneat it is signed b doyle.

As far as i know the late Bill Doyle was one of Irelands leading photographers and won JPEG_20240118_173021_resize_39.jpg JPEG_20240118_173053_resize_45.jpg JPEG_20240118_173249_resize_22.jpg JPEG_20240118_173614_resize_80.jpg JPEG_20240118_173735_resize_26.jpg a number of awards.

Can anyone tell me how to know if a photograph is an original collectable piece.

Thank you for any info

charlie cheswick likes this.
  2. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

found this that was on a page called moments of irish life

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/633670610049623448/

since its signed by him, thats a good sign i would think

he might have made more than one print of it though.

looks like they are praying, rosary beads ?

Figtree3 and sabre123 like this.
  3. Martin s

Thanks Charlie.yea rosary beads in old ireland.wouldent see much of that these days anyway i think.could be wrong tho.The signature b doyle is on the surround, not the photo itself tho.I would say there is surly more prints of this but just looking there and some of the main irish art auctioneers have sold collections of his photographs.i presume and hope that mine is a developed photograph well it certainly looks and feels like one but im no expert.how can you tell for sure do you know?

Thanks

charlie cheswick and Figtree3 like this.
  4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Hi, @Martin s -- It certainly looks like a glossy photo print from here. All modern "real" photographs on paper are called prints, and can be distinguished from prints that are not photographs. You would need to consult somebody in your area that is very familiar with photographic prints so they can see it in hand to determine what type of print it is.

The name written on the mat does not appear to match Bill Doyle's signature. See the one here for example:
    https://www.southdublinauction.com/...timed-auction-this-week-from-wednesda-lot-63/

It could still be a true photographic print, but somebody else may have matted it and put the photographer's name on it.

charlie cheswick likes this.
  5. Martin s

Hi Figtree3.

Yea it certainly feels like and looks like a photograph to my eye anyway.yea the signature might not be his hand i dont know .would think if he were to sign it it would have been on the photograph itself im not sure.is the size correct for a true photograph print do you know?

Thanks for info

Figtree3 likes this.
  6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It could have been printed from Doyle's negative after his death (2010). At least some of his photos were signed on the image, but I don't know if that was his standard practice. Other photos online do not appear to be signed.

Figtree3 likes this.
  7. Martin s

Good to here that not all of his photos seem to be sighed.Just looking there at whyths auction house in ireland who sold his photographs and they were the same size anyway 16 inches by 12 inches...

Figtree3 and moreotherstuff like this.
  8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

A print from a negative can also be enlarged, so the size could vary.

Draft saved Draft deleted