Featured Big Sterling Silver Jar. Chester. 1892.

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Shangas, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Ever since I became a silver-fiend (yes, that is a thing, now), I've been on the hunt for a lidded silver jar to keep stuff in - specifically stuff like peppermints and whatnot - because I habitually keep mints on my desk. Y'know, to suck on when I'm writing and whatever.

Anyway I'd been working my way slowly up the ladder from small to big to bigger, and today I finally found the one jar which I think I'll stop at.

[​IMG]

This is a BIG thing. It's about the size of a coffee-mug. I absolutely LOVE the patterning all over the surface. There's no damage beyond a few dings and dents (which I was able to straighten out no problems) and it's got a BIG capacity. Lots of sweet, cool mints :)

[​IMG]

I would've preferred it if the lid wouldn't so bulbous, but I also know that if I didn't jump on this one, I'd never be able to buy another one of the same size at the same price.

[​IMG]

Marks are CHESTER/1892, I believe.

2. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Mighty nice - I covet that! Congrats on finding it!

Funny how different people have different "aides" when writing...............I keep silver on my desk as well, only mine is an ashtray!

3. Shangas

I've been a BIG writer since I was a kid (so going on nearly 30 years now). And I almost always have something in my mouth when I'm writing. Chocolate or mints usually. I just loved this so much.

bobsyouruncle, judy and lauragarnet like this.
  4. VintageKaren

VintageKaren Active Member

That piece is amazing!!! I'm a silver fiend too!

Shangas and Mill Cove Treasures like this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I'll take the chocolates, please, and that's just a BEAUTIFUL silver jar!!!! AWESOME find, Shangas!!!!!!!! :):):):):):)

Shangas and Mill Cove Treasures like this.
  6. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

I'm not a silver fiend, but finding something like that could turn me into one! :woot:

7. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Love it! I hope it contributes to a smooth writing experience!

9. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Well-Known Member

Nice, The Chester hallmark is much sought after.

10. Shangas

Is it? Why?

I have two pieces with the Chester mark. This one, and a silver card-case from the Edwardian era.

11. Poisonivy

Because Chester stopped assaying in August 1962 so anything with a Chester hallmark is sought after.

Shangas likes this.
  12. Shangas

Ah okay. I have seen a few things with Chester marks on it, so I didn't realise it was that rare.

13. Poisonivy

There are pieces around but the Chester hall mark makes them extra special.

14. Shangas

On a related note - The silver Spanish coin I bought did turn out to be a fake. Or at any rate, it's not real, which I suppose makes it a fake by default.

I'm undecided what I should do about it. I rang up about four different places in town asking for help and in the end I went to a BIG coin-dealer in the center of town. He looked it up, checked it and weighed it, and said the factors were against it being legit.

At any rate, while I was at this place, he had albums and albums and trays and trays and TRAYS of coins for sale. I picked out five silver ones and bought them. I liked that place so much, I will definitely be going back.

...I fear that antique coins is now another area of collecting. I am so screwed!... :(

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted