Featured Big lock

Discussion in 'Tools' started by Mr.Glum, Jul 29, 2024.

1. Mr.Glum

Mr.Glum New Member

unnamed.jpg unnamed2.jpg unnamed3.jpg Hello.
    I have this lock, which I can only assume is old, but don't know how old. It's made to be attached on the outside of a chest, it looks like? Maybe something outside, as the condition seems a bit deterioated. A chest with tools? CComes from a farm, so it might be something like that? The key is as simple as it can be. Both the case and the "thing" has 4 notches, I think that it's visible on my not-so-good pictures. Otherwise there is no maker mark at all.
    150 mm x 160 mm, or almost 6" x a bit over 6".
    Some input would be greatly appreciated, age and anything else. A Google Lens search provided locks in the same style, but not much info on how old this one is.
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Best regards, Mr.Glum.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2024
    LauraGarnet02, judy, mirana and 4 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Hi @Mr.Glum from your other thread I take it that the farm is in Norway?
    I'll tag @the blacksmith for you, he lives in your part of the world, and he is.... a blacksmith.;)

judy, wlwhittier, Boland and 2 others like this.
  3. Mr.Glum

Mr.Glum New Member

You are correct, Any Jewelry. That is very grand of you, thank you so much!

judy, Boland and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Mr. Glum. Helpful if you post your photos as "FULL IMAGE". You can go back and edit these. This way the photos show up in the text box in a larger format without viewers having to do anything. A little bit easier on the viewer's end. Thanks!

Welcome, by the way.

judy likes this.
  5. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Interesting looking lock.Doesn’t look very secure or strong.The key also looks so simplistic.Looks homemade or even for decoration? Is it made of sheet metal? Doesn’t look like
    cast iron? Or is the back iron? Looking forward to hear what the experts say. Not sure what to think of this. The key looks almost more legit to me than the lock..

judy likes this.
  6. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

You're off to an interesting start, Glum...that's a really nice old lock. I'm amazed it still has its key! Welcome!

judy likes this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

boy , does that look homemade !!!

judy and Boland like this.
  8. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

judy likes this.
  9. Mr.Glum

Mr.Glum New Member

I'm sorry! My apologies, just some start-up trouble.

You're right, it can't be very secure. But depending on when it's from, I believe it would do good enough for something.

That would be the coolest! It seems like there is plenty of locks in this style by different companys, though. Maybe a beginner locksmith copied them?

It's bigger, but more elaborate? I find it very crude. The key has the shape of the keyhole, so the was a little effort involved. It would be so funny if this thing was a fake decoration piece, it's been around for at least my 4 decade long life :)

Boland and judy like this.
  10. the blacksmith

the blacksmith Well-Known Member

All farms here had a forge, and some of the people who wworked there were very skillful and multi-talented. Many made knives, made and fitted their own horse shoes, made hinges and door fittings, farming tools, tanned leather, carved wood and yes, made locks. So this was probably home made for a particular purpose.
    This lock definitely looks to have some age to it, but it is impossible to say how much really, and any attempt to do so would only be a guess I am afraid.
    Finding old locks like this here is not unusual, but finding them with their key is!

Mr.Glum, Boland, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  11. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

I love it. It's got a great handmade look.

Mr.Glum, Boland and judy like this.
  12. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

The locksmith here says it's old and was made by a blacksmith. We have quite a collection of antique locks that's he's acquired over 51 years in business so I trust his judgment.

Mr.Glum, Boland and mirana like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted