Berlin Santa Doll

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Adele Boese, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Adele Boese

Adele Boese Member

So my husband an I went to an Estate sale, I swear most of my statements start with that, anyways, I looked under a table and there was box, that stated Berlin Doll (Santa). When I opened it, my first thought was WOW the kids are going to hate him! So of course I purchased it. I find him very intriguing. He appears to be stuffed with twigs and is definitely handmade. In the box with him was a page of newspaper from December 13, 1974, in German. It appears to be a finance page of the paper.

I know that there are a lot of old primitive Santa Claus reproductions out there, but I think this one may be original and I am very excited about the find. Can anyone add anything to the history of this doll?

IMG_2907.jpg IMG_2908.jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

I've found many of my best finds under the table.
    FIRST place I look after the free box and the junk pile. :)
    I would've taken him too. :)
    Maybe Bev can help.

Adele Boese and judy like this.
  3. Adele Boese

Adele Boese Member

Thanks, he is intriguing isn't he!

KingofThings likes this.
  4. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

I've found some of my best friends under the table.............................

Adele Boese, judy and KingofThings like this.
  5. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Handy...................since you were already there...... ;)

Adele Boese and judy like this.
  6. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Belly chuckles!!:cat:

Adele Boese and KingofThings like this.
  7. arendsmith

arendsmith New Member

Hi, I have a doll that looks the same. I bought it in Germany in the 70s. Mine has the same discolored look. I sent the doll to be repaired and they thought it had been attacked by cats. The only thing I can really say is that this picture perfectly mimics mine. At the time I was in Germany the wall was still up so there is that part of history. The older ones I understood were made with apple faces. Store it some where dry. The legs on mine are crumbling.

Draft saved Draft deleted