Featured Bentwood Rocking Chair - Yugoslavia

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Kali Koshak, Nov 14, 2023.

1. Kali Koshak

Kali Koshak New Member

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Thonet had furniture made in different parts of the Austro-Hungarian empire. As a result, Thonet style furniture has been made in South Slavia, Hungary and Slovakia ever since the days of Thonet.

I have a similar rocking chair from Hungary, brought over in parts by a Hungarian WW I refugee who fled to the Netherlands by train.
    The Netherlands was neutral during WW I, and a safe haven for refugees.

My chair is dear to me too. Not just because of the beautiful style, but also because it was such a precious possession of the Hungarian refugee, her only memory of her home country.

sabre123, Ghopper1924 and Bakersgma like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I have a Thonet too, marked Thonet but no location. A gift from my husband in anticipation of our son's birth in 1969. :)

sabre123, Ghopper1924 and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Wonderful!:)
    Mine isn't a real one though, it is 'in the style of', probably by a maker that once worked for Thonet. Much like Kali's, except older and made in a different country.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  5. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Had to have been made between 1918 and 1992. I would agree, not a Thonet. This rather extravagant rocker style was fairly common in the US in the 1970s and 80s; I would think that yours was made then as well.

Any Jewelry and sabre123 like this.
  6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

There was an import store that sold these,I bought my grandmother one. That was 1982 or so. I also bought a matching hat rack. Now I wonder what happened to them.

Ghopper1924, Any Jewelry and sabre123 like this.
  7. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

She was tired of dusting them!

johnnycb09 and Ghopper1924 like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Feather duster or the modern equivalent, takes about two seconds. Not that I do it that often, I am a notorious non-duster.:smuggrin:

johnnycb09 likes this.
  9. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

The scrolling on yours is gorgeous!

lovewrens and johnnycb09 like this.
  10. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

LOL! Not my grandma,she was the original clean freak . They were in my uncles house when she died in 2005 ,she still had them all those years later. But I loathed him,so I never went back there after the funeral.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  11. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Agree, 80s. A lot of Yugoslavian furniture imported then. Press-in caning is telling as well.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. Alex12

Alex12 New Member

Oh, my grandmother once had the same chair in her attic, and she gave it to her neighbors because she simply didn’t need it. Who knew that this was such a rare thing now.:arghh:

johnnycb09 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted