Featured Bentwood and leather 20th century (MCM?) chair

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Jeff Drum, Aug 8, 2021.

1. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

I've been impressed with ID skills of @mark737 for mid century furniture, so I'm calling him specifically to see what he can do with this chair. But of course anyone else who has a clue, please chime in.

Has enough wear on it that it could be from the 70's, though could be more recent too. What do we think?
    P8083264.JPG P8083262.JPG P8083263.JPG P8083265.JPG

Figtree3, judy, LauraGarnet02 and 2 others like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

My uneducated guess is 1950s. It has that space age vibe.

judy, pearlsnblume and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I think 1980s ,but Im often wrong.

4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I am on board with an 80s or later date.

5. mark737

mark737 Well-Known Member

Interesting design, and with those unusual armrests I thought it would be easy to find more with an image search, but I'm coming up empty. My first thought was 70's or 80's Scandinavian, but you'd be surprised how many designers were experimenting with bent plywood in the 50's and earlier. Do you have any idea where it came from? I'd also suggest posting it on Design Addict. There are a number of experts in Scandinavian furniture on that site, though many of them no longer frequent the site.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
    Figtree3, judy, pearlsnblume and 2 others like this.
  6. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

@Jeff Drum , you didn't mention it, so I have to ask, did you turn it over and look for any sort of maker's marks or paper labels? Serial numbers or model numbers?

judy, pearlsnblume and Bronwen like this.
  7. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

I would also go for 80s, maybe 90s. Alvar Aalto inspired, mass produced.

judy likes this.
  8. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Thanks, I've had a chance to look it over again, and of course no labels or marks. I have a few original Aalto chairs, and the construction is different - Aalto used solid wood legs which received kerf cuts and was then laminated only on the curved areas. This chair is over-all laminated onto forms then glued. Seen on Eames chairs but of course most other manufacturers as well, including some of the later Thonet chairs from mid-century on. (p.s. certainly factory made, but I don't think "mass-produced", since we can't yet find a similar one anywhere?)

This chair has also been repaired at least once, as seen in the pictures of the bottom. Also see foam rubber in the vent hole. The fact that it has been repaired (and metal repainted) makes me believe it is more on the 70's end than the 90's end of manufacture, but both are possible.

Based on construction (single large vent hole and metal bands holding the base and back together) I'm leaning towards a Plycraft or Selig type manufacturer. There is a lot of Plycraft in my area since they were a local manufacturer. I don't suppose anyone has access to a vintage catalog of one of these manufacturers?
    P8103272.JPG P8103270.JPG P8103269.JPG P8103268.JPG P8103266.JPG

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
    Figtree3 and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  9. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Draft saved Draft deleted