Featured Bentima clock

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Chinoiserie, Aug 15, 2024.

1. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

I picked this up for £3. I saw it as a bit of a restoration project. It's in need of a new piece of glass for the face and a good polish. I thought the curly piece of metal in the back was a broken spring until I realised that it's the chime. I wound it up the other night before I went to bed and set the time. I got up in the morning and it had stopped at 2am. Also the chimes are out of sync. It strikes 9 at 4 o clock, 10 at 5 o clock etc. Anyway I took some photos this morning and went to work. I came home this afternoon and its up and running. Correct time. Weird..

Question, how do I synch the chimes with the time please? I considered taking the hands off and moving them.

IMG20240815071213_copy_2106x2808.jpg IMG20240815071229_copy_3000x4000.jpg IMG20240815071219_01_copy_2907x3876.jpg IMG20240815071310_copy_2592x3456.jpg

2. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

That's a nice clock...an' will reward your restoration efforts. Thanks for sharing!

Ghopper1924 and Chinoiserie like this.
  3. Chinoiserie

I think I've decided to keep it already. I love the subtle clunk, whirr and bong when it hits the hour. A certain nostalgic whiff about it.

komokwa, wlwhittier and Ghopper1924 like this.
  4. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Somewhere on the movement there is usually a leaver with A & R (Advance & Retard) or F & S, (Fast & Slow)
    Fiddle about with it to adjust how fast or slow the movement goes.

That little pendulum also should adjust higher or lower to alter the swing which in turn alters the speed.

Let the chime wind down until it stops operating then fully wind it back up and see if the chimes sync with time.

5. Chinoiserie

Thanks Dave. I just span the hour hand round and It seems to have synched it. The chime seems to be synched with the minute hand and triggers when It hits the hour and half past. Interesting to know that she have a function to adjust It though. It was running a bit slow so I turned the pendulum adjuster a couple of full turns. It is now really fast so will have to fiddle for a while.

komokwa and daveydempsey like this.
  6. Chinoiserie

I have cut a piece of glass for the front panel as it was missing. Looks great other than the door won't shut now. It collides with the centre column of the hands. On closer inspection the column seems to protrude out a bit further than it it should. Maybe that or the original glass was slightly domed. That would be beyond my capabilities.

Draft saved Draft deleted