Featured Beautifully painted porcelain vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by laura9797, Sep 2, 2024.

1. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

I believe this is likely Japanese with moriage decor; not sure if it is considered satsuma but I have not been able to find another with such detail in the birds and feathers. I have been having a love affair with birds lately! Any thoughts? Approx. height 22.62 in. PS. I know someone is going to ask why I didn't shoot the bottom - I did and I deleted it when I was editing the image sizes! It did not have any marks however. IMG_9027.JPG IMG_9028.JPG IMG_9029.JPG IMG_9030.JPG IMG_9031.JPG IMG_9032.JPG IMG_9033.JPG IMG_9034.JPG IMG_9035.JPG

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Knee jerk was Nippon but Id think it'd be marked somewhere. That is a STUNNING vase !

3. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Given the other stuff in this sale, I think you will have to go back to photograph the bottom for us. :happy::happy:

It is so well done the bottom hopefully will reveal some clues to someone here on the forum.

How about an artist's signature or initials somewhere in the design?

stracci, Chinoiserie, Boland and 2 others like this.
  4. laura9797

Yes I will be there for another 10 hours tomorrow so I will definitely re-shoot the bottom and post it here. I will go back over the piece just in case I missed something. Thank you!

5. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Beautiful indeed!

Chinoiserie, johnnycb09 and laura9797 like this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I think that’s Japanese in style, but Austrian or close by.

7. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

I think you may be right. That isn't moriage decoration, and the birds look more like storks than cranes. I stand to be corrected though!

Chinoiserie and johnnycb09 like this.
  8. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Agreed. Doesn’t look done in Japan to me. Influenced though could be. I’ve never seen a bird painted like that. It’s striking and almost off putting, but in a great way. Some of the Nippon stuff didn’t look Japanese at all but this really doesn’t look done by a Japanese hand to me. Nor does the form of the vase look right for that. Watch it turn up marked for Japan though!

Chinoiserie likes this.
  9. laura9797

So no mark and it could be Austrian I guess. I did take a couple photos of the bottom and then since I had help to handle to vase, I turned it around and saw damage. UGH! I almost cried. Well, the value is certainly diminished but I would buy it and turn it so you could see it. IMG_9054.JPG IMG_9056.JPG

kentworld likes this.
  10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Yup. And the handle shapes are European and those sort of paisley shapes too. Proper name escapes me. It’s enamelled rather

The storks are beautifully done.

bercrystal, kentworld and laura9797 like this.
  11. indifata

indifata New Member

Your post brightened my day! The positivity and creativity you bring are unmatched. Keep sharing this amazing energy with the world. It truly makes a difference! Scripmine

12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Really ?
    That's very interesting...

tell me...... what is your link all about..?
    cuz we rarely if ever open a suspicious link from an 18 year old new member on their 1st post.....!!!

Oh.... and I find your handle ...... offensive !

laura9797 likes this.
  13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

14. laura9797

My vodka & tonic almost went out my nose! :joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful:

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted