Beautiful Silver and Crystal Floral Center Bowl

Discussion in 'Silver' started by laura9797, Feb 10, 2021.

1. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

So it looks like pewter but tested as strong as any sterling pieces I have tested. Before I polished it, it was black. Very heavy and the floral work is intricate. The crystal bowl is removable but does fit as if it was made for it. There is only one small stamp which is '90'. I believe the Germans used the 90 mark for silverplate that was 90% fineness? Any help would be appreciated. IMG_1262.jpg IMG_1263.jpg IMG_1264.jpg IMG_1265.jpg IMG_1266.jpg IMG_1268.jpg IMG_1269.jpg IMG_1267.jpg

anundverkaufen and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I think it was also used on Dutch silver plate too. Lovely bowl.

laura9797 likes this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The attached article explains the use of numbers on European silver plate. The number stands for the quantity of silver (measured in grams) used in the plating, not the fineness of the silver itself.

https://www.925-1000.com/a_platenumbers.html

anundverkaufen and i need help like this.
  4. laura9797

Thanks I had already seen this article as well. I guess what is confusing is why this piece is testing as sterling and testing really strong?

5. Bakersgma

The plating is done with high fineness silver and in this case at 90 grams, is very thick. So it does not surprise me that normal "home methods" for testing are yielding that result.

What testing method did you use?

laura9797 likes this.
  6. laura9797

I used the testing kit with scratch stone for gold silver and platinum.

7. Bakersgma

The thing is that a scratch stone may not be scratching deeply enough into the plating layer to get down to base metal. It's testing the plating only - This happens all the time.

laura9797 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted