Beautiful sculpture mystery

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Hunter S., Sep 2, 2022.

1. Hunter S.

Hunter S. Active Member

Hello good people,

I acquired this beauty some time ago and I haven't been able to identify it...it is rather a mystery on many levels for me...

Number 1:
    The sculpture seems (for mine not so well trained eyes :bookworm:) like it is mid century modern but also art deco :nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting: lol

Number 2:
    The sculpture seems like brass and overall feels like brass (except number 4 - look at number 4 afterwards) , but however, compared to my other brass objects it seems different (I get that it got patina over time, however it is not just the patina it is also that it just has some copper/bronze overtone...so it might be bronzed brass or coppered brass (if possible :bookworm:...but also number 4)

Number 3:
    It is roughly (16.5 cm | 6.5 in) in height and the diameter of the base is (13 cm | 5.1 in) but it weights stunning (1.5 kg | 53 oz) :woot::woot::woot: it really seems rather on the smaller side of the spectrum (when it comes to sizes of sculptures and figurines)...so it is quite a surprise when you go on and try to lift it :joyful:

Number 4:
    The back of the sculpture puzzles me even more (for this you will have to look at the pics first), doesn't this coloration on the back of the sculpture happens to bronze?! Also I do not understand the back side of the sculpture...it just puzzles my brain completely (back of the sculpture seem like brutalist style?!)...also there is maybe something missing that was on the other side?!
    Also there is discoloration on the antlers (or is it on purpose?)...I took a closeup shot of this part also so you can see it better)

First of all have fun and enjoy and then I also kindly ask for your opinion :happy::happy::happy:

If someone would ask me for my humble opinion (if anybody is even interested lol :woot:;):woot:)...I would say: 1930 Art Deco France (I feel art deco somehow...I am completely unsure about the France :nailbiting:)...I would also say coppered brass with patina for the material (even so many things about this confuse me and I also want to say bronze)...

I took quite a few photos both with and without flash, so I can maybe show you the material and differences

20220902_165121.jpg
    20220902_165717.jpg
    20220902_165608.jpg
    20220902_170637.jpg
    20220902_170737.jpg
    20220902_165207.jpg
    20220902_170443.jpg
    20220902_170510.jpg
    20220902_165223.jpg 20220902_170321.jpg

judy and lovewrens like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

looks like an elk paperweight missing it's ID tag..

judy and Hunter S. like this.
  3. komokwa

I wouldn't;t call it a sculptured.......no sculpting here.....just a metal mold..

4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

5. komokwa

WoW...someone in Hungary......is hungry !!!

age wear from use......????
    what use??
    did they let it roam around the yard?????

:meh::meh::stop:

6. Hunter S.

Hunter S. Active Member

SIS thank you so much!!! I definitely still have no clue about anything :shifty::shifty::shifty::bookworm::bookworm::bookworm:

Also Komokwa thank you for your insightful comments. You are right I should have called it mold or figure/figurine from the start...also thank you for your funny Hungarian comments :woot::woot::woot:

komokwa likes this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'd think it was some kind of modern Christmas decoration. Versions are being sold on-line as mantel-top stocking holders.

Debora

Hunter S., pearlsnblume and Bakersgma like this.
  8. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

My knee jerk is 80's deco . I also thought a Christmas thing.

Hunter S. and pearlsnblume like this.
  9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Same here. It's true brass, but more 1980s brass than 1930s brass. I can see it with a name/award plate on the base or as a Christmas decoration.

Hunter S. likes this.
  10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Looks too well made to be an 80s Christmas decoration. Base is turned. Thinking more MCM and something says Scandinavian to me. Still could be a Christmas decoration but think a bit older.

Hunter S. likes this.
  11. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

My vote is for older as well. The base reminds me of vintage pieces I've had from the 30s, the lines on the deer don't totally look 1930s to me, but that said could be 50s/60s. The 50s had a bit of a Deco-redo. I bet there was info on what looks like a missing name plate or makers plate. Not modern Chinese the way it neatly screws into the base, IMO.

Hunter S. likes this.
  12. Hunter S.

Hunter S. Active Member

Wow!!! Thank you all so much for your opinions :):):):):)
    I guess we are not unanimous when it comes to my deer :joyful::joyful::joyful: It still remains a bit of a mystery...I kind of like that :shame::shame::shame:
    Once again, thank you all :woot::happy::woot:

Lucille.b and komokwa like this.