Beautiful old quilt but badly worn...is it of any value?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by pheasantville, Oct 31, 2014.

1. pheasantville

pheasantville New Member

This old quilt is beautiful but much of the appliqued fabric is badly worn, either thin or worn away altogether. The base quilt is in good condition, although not perfect. It measures approx. 90 by 72 in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's what we call a "cutter". It could possibly be repaired but might be better used for crafting purposes. If that's a Hawaiian applique quilt and old it's worth $$$ even in that state.

3. pheasantville

pheasantville New Member

It looks like Hawaiian style but I don't know if it really is Hawaiian - it's certainly not in Hawaii now:) It is just regular applique not the reverse applique that is used on at least some, maybe all, Hawaiian quilts.

4. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Traditional Hawaiian quilts used just a regular needle-turned applique. This seems to have all the characteristics of a Hawaiian quilt...the two colors used, the stylized square design patterns, the use of applique rather than piece work.

If 6rivets doesn't see this and give her opinion, you might want to contact the Hawaiian Quilt Guild in Hawaii. They have a number of contact emails on their website: http://hawaiiquiltguild.org/contact.htm

Or you might contact one of the antique dealers in Hawaii who deal in this type of textile.

I wouldn't consign it to the "cutter" pile yet. I'm willing to bet someone would pay good money for it just as it is. Old Hawiian quilts usually command pretty good prices.

5. evelyb30

Seconded. I don't know enough about Hawaiian quilts to know if this is one of them. Old pre-WWII quilts from the Islands can be worth a packet.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  6. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Don't know anything about your quilt, but agree...not a cutter yet!

I have one (fitting the description of wear as given above), which is draped over a half-wall in my stairway. :)

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  7. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I was under the impression that Hawaiian all had wavy quilting around the appliques simulating the waves surrounding the islands? I got rid of a lot of quilts years ago except for one my great Gram made. I had a long sleeve basted to one edge and hung it as backboard in a spare bedroom.
    greg

8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Haven't seen 6rivets lately. I hope she's okay, and out having a good time somewhere else.

9. gregsglass

Hi Fig,
    6rivets was over at ebay a couple of days ago so I guess she is ok where ever in the hell she is now.:rolleyes:
    greg

Figtree3 likes this.
  10. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

6rivets is alive and well, doing very well I think!

11. Figtree3

Thanks, Greg -- for a while she wasn't posting over there, either.

Fig

12. 6rivets

6rivets Active Member

Alive, well, and married as of 10/26 :)

Not Hawaiian. Eastern US c.1840-60 papercut applique quilt in Turkey red. The papercut quilts are the textile descendants of German scherenschnitte (papercuts), and are the *ancestors* of Hawaiian quilts, which use a single, large motif over the entire quilt, not multiples. Good as a study piece but obviously not for display unless you like the shabby look.

trip98, pheasantville, Happy! and 3 others like this.
  13. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

WooHoo on the marriage!

707susang likes this.
  14. pheasantville

pheasantville New Member

Thank you very much for sharing your expert knowledge, 6rivets. And congratulations on your marriage:)

And thanks to everyone for posting.

I love the quilt even in its shabby condition. Still considering if I'll list or keep it.

15. Figtree3

Married? That's great to hear, 6rivets!

16. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Thank you for clearing this up. Quilts aren't my generally my area, but Hawaiiana is, and this makes perfect sense. The early eastern U.S. missionaries introduced quilting to Hawaii, but I had not realized the large design pattern, colors, and applique so characteristic of Hawaiian quilts had that direct connection with German papercuts and mid-19th east coast quilts.

And I add my best wishes!

17. evelyb30

And at that age, definitely not for cutting up.

18. gregsglass

Hi 6rivets,
    Congratulations to the both of you on your wedding!
    greg

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  19. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

SBSVC likes this.
  20. gregsglass

Messi,
    Is that better?
    greg

Draft saved Draft deleted